Toxic Relationships: How to deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

Toxic Relationships: How to deal

Our lifestyle nowadays is really focused on how we should maintain a happy and well balanced life, which choices we should make to be and feel better and happier, what to eat, where to go and with who. But I think many people don’t know, forget or don’t want to accept that with whom you spend time and relate with can affect your overall health. With this being said it affects emotionally, internally. But you will probably see it physically. And we are not only talking about domestic relationships but friendships, co-workers and family mostly. We do ned to understand that everybody is different and nobody is perfect even us and maybe that’s why it gets harder for us to understand each other, but if the dynamic is turning out to be a problematic one then we might have a problem.

How can a toxic relationship affect my health? Well, just like choosing a fast food cheeseburger over a kale salad. Being part of a toxic relationship can actually put you in risk of the following: Depression, Migraines, Stress, Anxiety and its even known to put victims in risk of attempting against their lives. Many people don’t really recognize when they are in a toxic relationship, but I got a hint for you this person most of the time its not there to cheer you up, but in the contrary to criticize you. Remember you are worth of much, much more and if something its now working for you talk directly with the person (this will depend if the person is violent to you you might not want to do this alone) or end it, your health its not worth risking for somebody else.

So, how do you know if you are part of a toxic relationship? Here we have some signs:

1. Do you feel drained after being in contact with this person?
  2. Do you feel the need to change something about yourself about being in contact with this person?
  3. Do you feel threatened in any way when around this person?
  4. Do you feel as you can trust this person?
  5. Is this person violent towards you in any way verbally or physically?
  6. Do you feel relieved when you are not around this person?
  7. Have you felt symptoms like: sweating excessively, pounding heart, short breath just to name a few when you know you will be around this person?

If you answer “yes” to most of this questions you might be around a toxic person, therefore in a toxic relationship. If you feel like your life is at risk you should contact for help such as: Counseling, Life Coach, somebody close to you that you truly trust, 911, the National Domestic Violence Hotline at: 1-800-799- SAFE or the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. Remember the information in this article does not substitute a consult with a professional health/mental health specialist, if you feel at risk contact any of the numbers provided above.

Yarilix Santos is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Psychology. She is a DCP fall intern 2016  and research assistant. Loves to read, write and travel. In her free time you can find her either searching for new places to eat at Old San Juan or in a near coffee shop. She plans to go to grad school and study Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Undergraduate Psychology Student in Carlos Albizu in San Juan Creative, Friendly, Reliable. Love to read, write, draw and paint. You can find her exploring, studying and eating in at Old San Juan or traveling around Puerto Rico. Her plans are to graduate from psychology and find a job.