September 5 International Charity Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

International Day Of Charity- September 5

What exactly is charity? Some may ask themselves that question well charity is considered to be the simple act of giving money,food or overall help to someone in need,poor or sick (Merriam-Webster Dictionary 1828). Sometimes we don’t acknowledge how lucky or blessed we are call it however you want to call it, many have much more than most of the rest of the world. We live in difficult times and sometimes those in need don’t have anybody to rely on. If each and every one of us have the courage to help somebody in need of it I’m sure the world will be a much more different place than the one we live on right now, in a positive way. That could be by helping somebody individually or partnering with an organization. Collegiate, we can even help make a change with our group friends gather them and tell them to participate in a volunteer event and make your change in the world. 

So, all of this being said why exactly do we commemorate the International Charity Day? It all started with Mother Teresa who was also known as Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997) an Albanian-Indian Roman Catholic nun and missionary. She played a huge role in everything related to charity so that is why her name will always be mentioned when discussing the topic. She founded the Missionaries of Charity in 1950 almost 5,000 sisters were part of this Organization by 2012 who basically helped those in need either if they were sick,poor or that feel uncared by society, they had Orphanages, refugee homes and took good care of the sick. These services were provided without any charge regardless of the social or economical status, or religious belief. 

So days like today September 5 of every year the United Nations extend an invitation to the Member of States and too every Organization that wants to be part of the movement to play their role on the show. With this being said what it means is to commemorate what we celebrate this day to charity by education or accessible activities to make a change in the world. It is very common to see volunteers or organizations trying to raise money, the so famous ice-bucket challenge and volunteers partnering up with other Organizations and giving away first ned articles.

Here I share with you some powerful quotes about charity that will make you think twice about not participating in a beautiful and important day like this. But remember it doesn’t have to be only every September 5th you can help any day. Let’s make the good actions count more than the not so good ones.

1.    “It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”  – Mother Teresa

2.No one has ever become poor by giving.”  – Anne Frank, diary of Anne Frank: the play

3. “A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.”  – Jack London

4. “While we do our good works let us not forget that the real solution lies in a world in which charity will have become unnecessary.”    –   Chinua Achebe, Anthills of the Savannah

5. “We only have what we can give”

–    Isabel Allende

References:

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/charity

www.motherteresa.org 

www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/charity

Yarilix Santos is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Psychology. She is a DCP fall intern 2016  and research assistant. Loves to read, write and travel. In her free time you can find her either searching for new places to eat at Old San Juan or in a near coffee shop. She plans to go to grad school and study Industrial and Organizational Psychology