How to get along with your roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

How to get along with your roommates

So there’s a big chance you will have a roommate at some point of your college career even if it is because you will study abroad, an internship away from home or the most common just because well, that’s how college works for some of us. I know many people get excited at the idea of having roommates thinking that they will have automatically a new best friend, others are not excited at all of the idea of having to share the same room with someone. And you might ask yourself many stuff like: What if they are messy? If they bring random people over? If they are disrespectful of your stuff? If they are just weird? So, how should we set those boundaries? Communication is key here because people don’t have a genie lamp, they don’t know what you do or don’t like. So continue reading for a short list of stuff you should talk with your roommates about before making the big move…

1. Set a chores list if not everybody cooperates with getting the room clean and tidy the best option is to take turns with chores.
  2. Talk with them about visiting hours I understand that we all want to have some friends over now and then but it’s not cool when you want to study for a big test you have to take the next morning and you have a party or movie night in your place just set boundaries that you can all agree to.
  3. Talk about if you are going to share certain stuff, take turns in buying them when you run out or if everybody should just get their own.
  4. Some stuff might seem simple or easy to get along at first but it’s not always like that, you should discuss certain stuff like: if they like the light on or off when sleeping, if your snoring doesn’t let them get a goodnight sleep, if they are allergic to something or which decorations you should get for the shared room.
  5. You should let your roommate get familiar with your schedule so that way they know when you might be at home or not.

These are only some guidelines that you can reference when taking with your roommate. Remember communication is the most important part in this whole process its an adjustment for everybody to share their space so be fair and polite.

Yarilix Santos is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Psychology. She is a DCP fall intern 2016  and research assistant. Loves to read, write and travel. In her free time you can find her either searching for new places to eat at Old San Juan or in a near coffee shop. She plans to go to grad school and study Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Undergraduate Psychology Student in Carlos Albizu in San Juan Creative, Friendly, Reliable. Love to read, write, draw and paint. You can find her exploring, studying and eating in at Old San Juan or traveling around Puerto Rico. Her plans are to graduate from psychology and find a job.