Forever Temporary Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

Forever Temporary Friends

“Forever is a lie all you have is what’s between hello and goodbye” –Sarah Dessen

After reading this quote in a novel of one of my favorite authors it stuck with me long way, through middle school and beginning of High School my hardest times I would say socially. Ideally we have the same group of friends through life, or the same best friend from middle school we make plans about doing things together, going places together, we fantasize about how our lives in each other’s side will be five or 10 or 20 years from now. Reality check it’s not always like this, and even though it may hurt its ok and it will be ok. Life, we never know where it will take us, today we have a plan, tomorrow our plan changes, our path changes we get to know other people or even worse we truly get to know those we thought we knew. As years had passed I’ve learned the hard way that nothing and no one is meant to stay forever in some way or the other you will go separate ways or things won’t just be as you planned.

There are many type of friends that you will encounter yourself with along the way, some you will learn that were never your friends, others you will just learn that you’ve had grown apart due to life choices. Many people will change along the way and therefore will change with you too, and some others you will be glad the moment when they won’t be part of your life anymore. Remember always to have people that bring you up and not down when they try to bring you down cut ASAP. In another way you should learn to be yourself, to accept yourself and to trust yourself because you will have you all the time and it will make things a lot easier along the way when you truly love yourself and learn that there will be times that you will have to walk through life by yourself.

I’m not here to tell you whether or not by my judgement someone makes the cut to be a friend or not, but just by the fact that you should prepare yourself for the worst without being negative either and enjoy everything without always expecting the best out of situations and out of people. I would never understand how innocently I called some people “friends” or “best friends” and in a matter of days they just walked away without further explanation, but who am I to judge when I did the same to others. Maybe they as myself once pretended that everything was fine in this so called friendship when in reality it wasn’t and one day it just happened, maybe the expectations were others, maybe we were just growing apart and never noticed, maybe that happened with the ones I left behind too they never noticed how different we grew from each other or when they made me feel bad or vice versa. Some people just prefer to not say anything and just let life take you down their path I think that’s a good way of resilience, a good way to deal with what’s not on your control and that’s ok.

You will feel anger at times, you will feel sad at times, frustrated, confused, maybe bad blood between you. I think this is totally normal and understandable but to truly live a happy and full life you will have to work with this feeling and learn how to deal and how to heal. You will have to love and respect yourself enough to give yourself and them forgiveness and wish nothing but the best. What some say is true and you will probably have your share of them… “Strangers with memories”, because we need to understand and accept that what was yesterday won’t be today or tomorrow.

Yarilix Santos is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Psychology. She is a DCP fall intern 2016  and research assistant. Loves to read, write and travel. In her free time you can find her either searching for new places to eat at Old San Juan or in a near coffee shop. She plans to go to grad school and study Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Undergraduate Psychology Student in Carlos Albizu in San Juan Creative, Friendly, Reliable. Love to read, write, draw and paint. You can find her exploring, studying and eating in at Old San Juan or traveling around Puerto Rico. Her plans are to graduate from psychology and find a job.