Coffee consumption as a collegiate: good or bad for you?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

In honor to the National Day of Coffee celebrated this past week we think its necessary to actually talk about the dark side of coffee consumption while being in college. We know that college life can be stressful enough with long active hours during the day, long nights and little to no sleep. Between classes and social life you may feel drained from energy and might need a little extra energy booster to help you get through your day. But is coffee really heathy for you? Are you doing yourself a favor or actually harming your body? Does it really do something or is everything just in your head? Every day millions of people including college students turn having one or more cups of coffee a day to go on with their daily routines, but there might be more harm into that that you may think.

A research done at 2013 by professor Roger says that the consumption of caffeine doesn’t really give you a boost, you think it does. Roger conducted a study with more than 300 volunteers in which were divided in two groups randomly, one group was given caffeine the other a placebo. The results? Neither one of them experienced a difference in their body, that means that coffee apparently doesn’t really give you any alertness or energized feeling. So if they say it doesn’t why do you may feel as it does? Well you see, coffee actually stops a chemical in your brain called adenosine, after a few hours of your consumption you may feel fatigue in some cases, flu-like symptoms or a headache because of this. Now you understand why you feel like your head hurts at 3:00pm without having coffee? This may be the reason. A similar study done by Rogers (2013) discovered that coffee doesn’t necessarily keep you concentrated, it may keep you feeling awake but not concentrated. That may be the reason for your failed all-nighters.

Rogers (2013) says that coffee actually contains many antioxidants and water (obviously) but this shouldn’t be your alternative to keep yourself hydrated. Those who consume coffee actually have a lower risk of getting Diabetes 2, stoke and some types of cancer. But, how much is enough? Everything in life should be taken with caution and balance don’t abuse of coffee consumption or any other alternative. As life, science and technology keeps on moving forward we will continue to learn more about the truth of coffee and everything that goes along with it. Meanwhile if you feel good taking it continue, try to keep a balanced and well-rounded life style and everything should turn out right for your college adventure.

Yarilix Santos is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Psychology. She is a DCP fall intern 2016  and research assistant. Loves to read, write and travel. In her free time you can find her either searching for new places to eat at Old San Juan or in a near coffee shop. She plans to go to grad school and study Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Undergraduate Psychology Student in Carlos Albizu in San Juan Creative, Friendly, Reliable. Love to read, write, draw and paint. You can find her exploring, studying and eating in at Old San Juan or traveling around Puerto Rico. Her plans are to graduate from psychology and find a job.