This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

Simon is gay and haven’t told his family, friends, no one! Except Blue, an online friend. But this book is not about him being a gay teen, it’s so much more… this is a story about Simon’s growth.

I recently read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli and it was such an adorable read! I’m so glad I decided to read it with one of my friends, because we were discussing everything that was happening on the book while reading it. When I finished it, I was so overwhelmed and I instantly told my book club friends they all should read it. And since the movie that’s based on the book (Love, Simon) is coming up on theaters in March, I decided to make a short list of why everyone should read it:

1. The story: this young adult story includes important subjects like high school, LGBTQ+, friendship, family and more. What I like the most about this book is how it involves struggles that the LGBTQ+ community is still facing today. The process of coming out is something so personal and I was glad when this was addressed: “Why is straight the default? Everyone should have to declare one way or another, and it shouldn’t be this big awkward thing whether you’re straight, gay, bi or whatever. I’m just saying.”

2. Simon: I mean, I think I haven’t fall in love with a main character before, like I did in this book. Simon is so awesome, honest, sweet, fun and I just want to hug him! BUT I won’t tell you why, because I don’t want to give you any spoilers… but trust me, you are going to love him. And if you love Oreos, you are going to love him even more.

3. Simon’s family: OMG, Simon’s family is the BEST. His sisters are adorable and his parents are goals. They support each other and you can really feel it. Fun fact: his mom is a psychologist! And the author is a former clinical psychologist.

4. Blue: the online friendship between him and Simon, was so enjoyable to read via their email exchanges. So much cuteness and love and everything!

5. Friendship: Simon has a close group of friends, Leah, Nick and Abby, and the book shows you their ups and downs. So yeah, it feels real and relatable.

BONUS: There are many reason to read this wonderful book but, how about this one… because the movie is coming out soon!!! Have you seen the trailer yet?!

Mariely is a PhD student in School Psychology at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. She loves spending time with her family and their dogs named Gabo and Bebo. Mariely is always practicing sign language, reading, crafting, writing, watching movies or blogging! You can find her under a pile of books on her Instagram.
Albizu Her Campus