Women’s History Month: Public Service and Government

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

It is Women’s History Month and this year’s theme is “Working to Form a More Perfect Union: Honoring Women in Public Service and Government.” HC Albany would like to highlight some of those women and their accomplishments. Happy Women’s History Month!

Carmen Fariña

Fariña became the New York City Schools Chancellor on January 1, 2014. She started her career in Brooklyn as a social sciences teacher. She was known for “blending” social sciences with literacy which had a profound effect on her students. She went from teacher, to principal, to superintendent and now chancellor. She has a BS from NYU and three master’s degrees!

Elizabeth Warren

Warren currently holds office as a senior U.S. Senator from Massachusetts. Prior to that role, she was the Special Advisor for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to the Secretary of the Treasurer. She was a professor at Harvard Law School and an advocate for consumer protections.  

Hillary Clinton

Whether you agree with her politics or not, Hillary Clinton is definitely making history. She has been in public office for a very long time. She was a U.S. Senator, a Secretary of State and now she is running her second campaign for the Presidency!

Kirsten Gillibrand

Albany-born Gillibrand is the junior U.S. Senator from New York and she has been in that office since 2009. She was appointed by Gov. David Paterson and won the election with 63% of the vote. In 2012, she had the highest margin for any New York state candidate with 72% of the vote.

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!