Life > Experiences

Why Older Brothers Are Everything You Want

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Besides being the test dummy they practiced RKO’ing, the victim that always “lost” her leftovers she put in the fridge the night before, and the one always outnumbered when it comes to what to watch on TV- having older brothers is everything you’ve ever wanted.

Back at home, my friends saw me and my older brothers’ relationship and wished they had their own. My older brothers were my personal chauffers, cooks, and even confidantes. They drove me wherever I needed to go with the occasional expense of an attitude, but I still got to where I needed it to be without any deductions from my bank account! If my older brothers ate, I ate too, whether they picked up something for me or they experimented cooking quinoa or whatever their new diet suggested to eat. My older brothers always made sure that I was being taken care of and that was no secret to anyone.

Although, I only have two older brothers, when it comes to my brothers’ friends, it feels like I have ten! My brothers’ friends look out for me the same way my brothers do and that’s not always a good thing, especially when it comes to introducing a boyfriend or someone. I was that typical annoying, little sister rambling for hours about the latest tea in her life to a group of guys who’d rather pay attention to whatever NBA game was on, but I loved every minute of it. (Ok, I’ll admit. Maybe, my friends wished for older brothers because they thought my brothers’ friends were cute.)

Having the cool older brothers I have never made me feel like I was living in their shadows. Being known as their little sister was a title I was always happy to have. Rather than thinking of being in their “shadow,” I think of my older brothers and the repuation they have to be a beam of light guiding me through life. Being away at college, I hope to build up a reputation and future as bright as theirs; but, most importantly, I hope to be as cool as them, one day! If they eat, I ate and if they succeed and are happy, then I am successful and happy, too.

Julia is a freshman writer at the University at Albany's chapter of Her Campus. Originally being from Staten Island, she intends to major in Linguistics at UAlbany. In the future, Julia plans on pursuing a career in speech pathology. Besides her dream of becoming a speech pathologist, she has always loved to write and wondered how to incorporate writing in her future endeavors. Her Campus enables her to do what she loves and hopefully continues to provide her with many more opportunities! To get a closer, more intimate look at her life- follow her on Instagram: @juliaabonoan.