This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

By, Maia D:

Life is stressful; from dance practice, to lecture, to study sessions, and I’m constantly on the go. I feel like I’m being stretched in 100 different directions. On the bright side, I feel at my best under 2 blankets, with hot wings and curly fries by my side; watching some of my favorite tv shows. I’ve never been the biggest Netflix junkie, but when college hits? Sis, I will spend hours trying to distract myself from the world of Cell Biology and Organic Chemistry. Lately, I’ve been dabbling in a bunch of shows, but these are my faves:  

• Insecure  

• Google Description: “Modern-day black women might be described as strong and confident; in other words, just the opposite of Issa and Molly. As the best friends deal with their own real-life flaws, their insecurities come to the fore as together they cope with an endless series of uncomfortable everyday experiences. Created by co-star Issa Rae and writer/comic Larry Wilmore (‘The Daily Show With Jon Stewart’), the comedy series looks at the friendship of two black women in a unique, authentic way. It features the music of both indie and established artists of color, and touches on a variety of social and racial issues that relate to the contemporary black experience.”   

• My Description: Long story short, if you’re a woman of color…THIS SHOW IS FOR YOU! It covers everything from being ghosted to not having a job; I live my life through Issa and Molly because college doesn’t respect me. In all honesty, this show has brought me to legit tears (sad and happy), so it’s a definite watch. If you have Hulu or HBO, you can watch it no problems. Sadly, it’s not available on Netflix, so all you scammers (like me!) have to find one of those free movie websites to watch it on.   

• American Horror Story  

• Google Description: “American Horror Story is an American anthologyhorror television series created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. Each season is conceived as a self-contained miniseries, following a different set of characters and settings, and a storyline with its own ‘beginning, middle, and end.’ Some plot elements of each season are loosely inspired by true events.”  

• My Description: If you can’t handle blood, gore, or extreme sexual situations, then run far away from this show. If you can, read on! Each series is a completely different story, and somehow each season is connected to the other. A geek like me analyzes each episode, so I see the correlations. I’m not up to date on this show, but from what I see, it pulls you right in once you start. It can get a little boring at times, but the developing storyline, constant plot twists, and surprise musical numbers are worth it! You can find this show on Hulu and Netflix!  

• Big Mouth   

• Google Description: “Even for a cartoon character, going through puberty isn’t easy for a young person. Andrew is learning that first hand as he experiences the nightmare that is growing up in this animated series geared toward adults. Along for the ride are friends Nick and Jessi, who develop a budding romance along the way. The comedy veterans who lend their voices to “Big Mouth” include John Mulaney, Nick Kroll, Maya Rudolph and Jordan Peele.”  

• My Description: If you’re not into cartoonish almost-porn, then don’t bother watching this show. As gross as it may sound, this show puts a new perspective onto puberty that we can all somehow relate to. The hormone ‘monster’, facial/body hair, and masturbation are factors we can all identify with. The show’s sarcastic, witty humor are good vibe after a long day of figuring out resonance structures of a compound I will probably never use in real life. This show has been all over social media for a reason, so give it a try! You can find this show on Netflix! 

N/A