This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

She’s beautiful in your mind. You can’t wait to see her again. She barely comes around, but when she does…she makes an entrance. We all have a love/hate relationship with her. You know exactly who this cold tramp is. Winter. As the temperature drops, so does my motivation to go outside and that probably applies to everyone on this campus. Along with a lack of activity, there’s an increased presence of someone we all hate. You’ll wake up one morning and there she is, sitting on your chest like a boulder. Depression. 

Winter and Depression skip along happily with you skulking behind like a pouty kid. Both urging you to stay in bed and watch Netflix. That sounds amazing until you have a mountain of work to do and a billion different tasks zooming through your mind. I’ve come to terms with the fact that me and the cold will NEVER mix. However, I do know that I can battle the sadness accompanied with the “jolliest” season of the year. Here are my tricks to staying a little bit happy: 

• Vent 

• Tell someone what’s on your mind or write it out. Whatever you’re feeling is important and you need to express that. 

• Watch a movie 

• Find something that’ll get you distracted – an action movie, a romantic comedy, etc.  

• Blast some music  

• Pick your favorite bop that can get your emotions going and maybe some dance moves out of you. Personally, I like to bump some Earth, Wind, and Fire to get me dancing 

• Get up and do SOMETHING 

• Whether it’s cleaning, running a quick errand, or going out with a friend, you need to keep that blood flowing or else…you’ll just be a blob of sadness 

• Look in the mirror and smile/laugh 

• You may look insane, but it’ll at least remind you to feel 

Don’t let Winter and Depression body you this year. Get up and get out of your feelings! 

The modern-day combo of Susie Carmichael and Moesha Mitchell, except she's Haitian.
My name is Daria and I am currently a junior at SUNY Albany. I am studying biology and hope to, one day, become a nurse practitioner.