ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What To Do Over Summer Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Intern

Interning is a fun way to get into your field. There are paid and unpaid options, but whether you’re getting paid or not, the experience is very rewarding. 

Go On Vacation

You’ve been in school for so long and now it’s time for a relaxing vacation. A week long vacation to a nice destination is well needed. Go with friends from home or your family members.

Volunteer

Volunteering at a summer program for children or a cooling center for the elderly can be a rewarding experience. Volunteering, much like interning, also looks really good on your resume. 

Explore your Town/City

Do you know everything about your city or town? Take a trip around with your friends or family and go to places you’ve never been. Talk to some of the people who own the mom-and-pop stores. Build a relationship with your community.

Read Some Books

Remember that mandatory summer reading we had to do when we were in high school? This time it isn’t mandatory and you get to choose a book you like. Sit under a tree in your backyard or in the park, get some lemonade, and get into that new book!

Go to the Beach/Pool

Hopefully it will be in the 80s and 90s this summer. Go with some of your friends and family to the beach or the pool. Catch some sun, some waves, and just relax.

Visit the Zoo/Aquarium

Who doesn’t love animals? Take a nice, calm trip to the zoo or the aquarium to get in tune with nature.

Go to the Amusement/ Water Park

Amusement and Water parks are the best. Everyone is happy and there are rides for everyone. And did I mention the junk food? It may not be good for you, but it’s so tasty.

Take a Class at a College in Your Community

It doesn’t hurt to get extra college credit if those credits can transfer over to your current school there shouldn’t be a problem. Take something that isn’t offered at your college or something that you’ve always wanted to take, but it didn’t fit into your schedule.

Go to a Concert

A lot of artists have concerts in the summer. Find a concert to go to and have a blast with your friends. You only live once.

Work

Having a little extra money for the summer never hurt anybody. If you work retail at a store in Crossgates, Colonie, or Stuyvesant Plaza and you want to transfer to the store in your city you should do that. Everyone likes a little extra cash in their pocket.

Edited by Toni Moy

(Picture Sources:onlinecareertips.com, whenworkworks.org, ghpfish.com, wonderfulengineering.com, allthingsd.orgbeachgrooves.com, boomsbeat.com, pinterest.com, huffingtonpost.com, ppastudio.com, financecrusader.com)

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!
Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!