This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Yes. Loving yourself.

I’m sure many of you have gone through OR are currently going through this stage of life where you are not feeling yourself, having a bad day or straight up not loving yourself.

It’s a long process. It’s definitely not easy to be able to accept yourself but let me tell you, in the end, the results are amazing.

While these may not work for everyone, below I have listed some ways to work towards loving yourself. I’m providing this to whoever who is confused on how to love yourself and I hope this could work as a good starting point for any of you and maybe you can figure out your own way to achieve self love.

1. Do what you love. Do anything that makes you happy! Don’t let anyone or anything stop you from doing what you love.

2. Accept your past and mistakes. This is probably one of the biggest challenges most individuals must face. You might have done things you’re not proud of, or just events that scarred you until today, but all in all, we need to accept ourselves. Nothing can be done to change the past and we need to accept what has happened and just look forward. 

3. Let go (especially anything that is toxic)

This could be a challenge for some of you, but let me tell you, once you let go of things that are toxic to you, I’m 99% sure you’ll live a better life. The people or things that are possibly putting you down from your happiness should be deleted from your life. NOT THAT IT’S EASY TO DO SO!! Letting go is a long process, but surely, you’ll soon forget what happened.

4. Be with the people you love and care for the most. You sometimes may want to isolate yourself and continue self-loathing, but sooner or later you must realize that being with the people you love could really boost your mood. If you surround yourself with love, you will certainly be one step closer to happiness, an amazing achievement.

5. Be YOU, the title is self-explanatory. Never be ashamed of what you are, where you come from, what you love and anything that’s just you! You being you is what makes you unique and no one can ever change that about you. 

While I know there are many more ways to achieve self-love, these are ones I have collected from past experiences. These are just a few basics that you guys can try.

To all the beautiful people who have achieved self-love, congratulations, I am incredibly happy for you!

To those who are still trying to achieve self-love, I’m rooting for you and are proud at how far you have come.

Remember this: if you still haven’t achieved it yet, don’t stop trying. It might seem like there is no hope but remember, many people (including ME) are rooting for you.

We are all winners. And we will continue to win. I know it.

Have an amazing week beautiful people, xoxo

A Malay Muslim born and raised in Malaysia and currently pursuing her studies in the United States. She's majoring in Journalism and minoring in Film Studies. She likes to talk about makeup, movies, societal issues and anything else that's interesting! A proud Sun in Aquarius, Moon in Leo and Pisces rising! If you want to start a conversation with me follow me on Twitter: @ainaateyou
N/A