Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Touch Yourself Ladies, She’s Yours: Get to Know Yourself Before Someone Else Does

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Ladies,

We all know that strange tingly feeling we started to get in our panties when we were too innocent to even understand what that feeling meant. Naturally, we became curious and some of us chose to explore that feeling further while other girls fell shy of their bodies and kept their hands above their pants.

I’m one of the girls who chose to see what that was all about like many of you. Or as many of you haven’t.

It is no secret that female masturbation is seen as a taboo or a hush-hush topic in today’s society. Young ladies are not taught to see themselves as sexual beings who are allowed to explore their bodies in however way they choose to.

A girl who speaks openly about it is seen as freaky, a thot or slut when in actuality it’s a natural conversation to be had. Simple as that.

Boys have been speaking openly about masturbation since their first stiffy (erection) , during a math lesson in middle school. Yet girls aren’t allowed to do the same because it is not “ladylike”.

NEWS FLASH: girls have the potential to get exceedingly horny in the most inappropriate moments too, and sometimes want to talk about it too. I mean HELLO, WE ARE HUMAN TOO! We all go through puberty and felt the same things boys did.

Some of us, the reason is related to religion since many organized faiths claim it promotes promiscuity and displays a lack of self-control; anything sex related is strictly meant for the purpose of reproducing.

Some of us, have never tried it because we simply don’t know how to.

Whatever the reason may be, a lot of women are missing out on an intimate and personal experience because of shame, a lack of knowledge, or support.

Knowing yourself does not mean you are unholy, nasty, or that you’re going to start the life of a prostitute or sex addict. I’m here to say, girl, it is okay to feel her, touch her, smell her, taste her, Whatever you want because she is yours. I am in a deep, devoted relationship with my body and self, and you have been in one since you were born with yourself.

If you don’t already, I encourage you to get in touch with your feminine gift and discover your own body. Here are some excellent incentives.

Benefits of Masturbation:

1) Sexual arousal produces oxytocin, a natural pain reliever:

Can heal headaches, muscles aches, and cure insomnia

2) Gain the skill to potentially bring yourself to tears and call your own name out in the process

3) Relax and relieve tension after a long day

4) Avoid getting attached to a person just because they can make you cum

5) Same endorphins released during sex are released during masturbation and can improve overall mood

6) Exploring and understanding your body benefits you and your partner

(Communicate what excites you to your partner)

7) Can be a transcendental experience (look it up)

8) Improves your immune system and contributes to your overall health

In knowing yourself one is able to please oneself without the need of a partner, a form of feminine empowerment.

Your vagina is yours, and she is beautiful and worthy of exploration.

I’ll leave with a note from Sister Margret Farley an Amercian Nun, professor, writer, and ethicist.

Many women “have found great good in self-pleasuring, something many had not experienced or even known about in their ordinary sexual relations with husbands or lovers.

~Sister Margaret Farley, a professor, writer, and ethicist

Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics.

Sources:

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-ap2/chapter/development-of-the-male-and-female-reproductive-systems/

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/why-is-masturbation-such-a-taboo-topic-20120615-20e0q.html

"The price we pay for being ourselves is worth it" - Eartha Kitt