Tips for Saving Money When Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

We hate to admit it, but studying abroad is expensive. Not only is there the issue of the dreaded exchange rate, but living in a foreign land in general will probably result in spending more money than you perhaps would back home. Sticking to some sort of budget is something you should definitely consider, and we’re sure your purse will appreciate it too!

HC is here to offer some advice to make it a little easier to save some dollars during your year abroad.

Look for scholarships

You may be eligible to apply for a study abroad scholarship from your home university, or even your host institution. Have a look to see if you can get any extra money towards travel – every little helps.

Set a budget

Spreadsheets can become your best friend. Work out how much you’ll be getting throughout the year and set yourself a budget. It’s good to have an idea of how much you are spending, and try to stick to it so you don’t end up in too much debt at the end of the year.

Student discounts and ID

One great thing about being a student is the discounts. You can find discounted travel fares, discounts in stores for clothing or electronics, and showing your student ID in certain bars and restaurants can give you some great offers too. Make sure you always ask about student discounts wherever you go on your travels – you’d be surprised how many tourist attractions offer 10-20% off, leaving you more money to spend on your travels!

Hostels > hotels

Hostels are absolutely ideal for a travelling student. They’re much cheaper than a hotel, and if you find the right one they can be just as nice. Some hostels include meals like breakfast, some have en-suite bathrooms, and a lot of them are located in the best areas and city centres. Also, websites like Airbnb are great for something a bit different and cost-friendly.

Don’t buy too much unnecessary stuff

Being abroad, you’re naturally going to want to buy souvenirs and other things for your friends and family back home. Just don’t go overboard, and buy what sticks out the most to you. Don’t buy a lot of clothes, makeup and accessories when you can get them back home. Also, if your host university offers a meal plan, try and eat in the dining halls as often as possible to save money on eating out all the time.

Travel Apps

Apps such as Skype, Wifi finder, Find Near Me, Kayak and STA Travel are musts for your year abroad, so get downloading! You can save so much money on making phone calls abroad with Skype, plus there’s the video feature. Always try and use Wifi rather than mobile data as that can add up to horrendously high costs abroad. Find Near Me is a quick way of locating nearby grocery stores, cafes, and gas stations. Kayak & STA Travel find you the cheapest flights and places to stay when traveling too. 

Remember: although the year abroad will be one of the more costly experiences throughout college, it’s also one of the best – so don’t let money troubles get in the way of you having a fun time and seeing the world! 

Edited by Toni Moy

(Picture Sources: Google Images, Buzzfeed, Tumblr and blog.cainbrian.com, living-learning-eating.blogspot.com)

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!