Tips on How You Can “Body” that Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Are you nervous about taking on your first internship this summer? Do you want to make a good first impression- but you’re not sure how to? Want to “body” that internship?

I’ve come up with three different tips on how to ace your summer internship and make a great impression that might get you a job!

With summer coming up, internship season is approaching as well. It’s important to have an internship in general because you’re able to gain experience in your field, as well as be a step closer to being employed after college depending on how well you do. Whether it’s your first internship or your third, starting a new one can be intimidating at first.  Adapting to the environment, the culture, and being around new people can be a big change for some.

With the following tips, you’ll ‘body,’ your dream internship in no time!

Tip #1- NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!

I can’t stress it enough! Networking is probably one of the most important aspects of any internship or job in general. You never know who you may be talking to or what connections they might have! It’s important to get your name and your brand out there, so make sure that you market yourself in the best way possible. Being in a professional setting is the best way to network because you are surrounded by so many professionals who have been in your shoes, so take advantage of that!

Tip #2- Set Realistic Goals for Yourself!

Setting goals on a weekly basis, or before starting a new project is essential for success. What do you want to improve from the previous week or project? How can you make it better? Dig deeper for ways that you can improve your week or your project. Take critical feedback from your supervisor, and don’t be afraid to ask what you can improve on.Supervisors like to see that as it reminds them that you are willing to improve yourself and do better. While setting your goals, push yourself past your limit, past your comfort zone and try new things that you know will be beneficial!

Tip #3-Take Initiative!

If you finish a project early and you’re not sure what to do, first ask your boss to look over your project to see if there are any changes that you can make to improve your work.If not, always ask if there is something else that you can do or help with even if it doesnt pertain to your internship! Your supervisors are busy people and its good to lend a helping hand as they can use some of your help with minor tasks! Taking initiative shows your supervisor that you’re eager and willing to take chances which leads to a good impression!

With these three tips, I hope that you’re ready to body your summer internship!Theres no such things as doing too much in an internship. By taking your internship seriously, and exceeding expectations, just wait and see where you’ll land!

Good luck, I hope that you found these tips helpful!

My name is Soraya St. Clair and I am a current sophomore at the Unviersity at Albany. 
Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues