This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Packing for study abroad is a stressful time, and you’re more than likely to end up over-packing the first time around. Although it can be difficult to decide what is necessary and what you just don’t need, we’ve got a few suggestions on the more essential stuff for study abroad.

A decent sized bag/backpack

Having a good sized bag will come in use for when you are travelling around the world and on the move. It can also double as your school bag, as it will be big enough to fit in all of your textbooks and notepads for class.

A Camera

Packing a camera is simply a must for study abroad. How else will you capture all of the beautiful sights you see? Even if it is just your phone camera, it’s better than nothing at all.

Photos of family & friends back home

Whenever you are feeling down or a bit homesick, having photographs of the people you care about back home is a good way to perk yourself back up again. It’s a nice way to fill up your dorm room and make it feel more homely, and can also be a good conversation starter with your new friends too.

Some of your favourite snacks from home

Although you will discover so many delicious new snack foods in your host country, you are definitely going to miss a lot of the food from back home. Pack a few snacks for the journey and some to keep in your room for when you’re having an off day. You can always request more in a care package from your friends and family back home too!

A Small First Aid Kit

It’s probably a good idea to pack some first aid and medical items – just in case. Allergy tablets, paracetamol, etc. will be needed at some point during your time abroad. It’s much easier to have them to hand in your dorm room rather than having to venture out when you’re already sick.

Travel guides & maps

Get some travel guides for the nearby cities so you are in the know when it comes to travelling for the first time. Maps aren’t too essential (thank you Google maps on my iPhone), but sometimes when the internet connection isn’t working so well carrying a small map in your bag can be very useful!

Travel Adaptors

Bring at least 2 travel adaptors for all of your electronics when you go abroad. They are so essential, otherwise you’re going to be without a charged phone or laptop when you first arrive – and that’s never a good situation to be in. 

Edited by Toni Moy 

(Picture Sources: wordpress, weheartit.com, tumblr)

Tabby is a 3rd year student at Swansea University in the UK, currently on a year abroad at the University at Albany, New York. She studies English & American Studies, and is the Travel & Study Abroad blogger at Her Campus Albany. She absolutely loves to travel, having already visited a number of cities in the U.S. and Canada since arriving last summer, including Boston, Chicago, Montreal and Washington D.C. Tabby also enjoys music, shopping, eating a lot of food (and instagramming said food) and excessively watching Netflix. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism once she graduates in 2016, having done some work experience previously at Microsoft MSN and now working for HC. http://instagram.com/tabbyduff 
Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!