jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break: Is it Worth the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Recently, 2 girlfriends of mine and I went to Cancun, Mexico! We had a blast. We drank lots of alocohol, met some pretty cute guys, and just enjoyed each other’s company. Although I had a great time, I do have to wonder if Spring Break culture is worth the hype.

Think about it, a bunch of us “broke” college students will save all year, some will even max out their credit cards, just to say they’ve experienced a wild college spring break. There were some pros and cons to my trip, like any other trip, but I think I expected more from my “wild” college trip as a whole.

This may be because of what I’ve seen on television and social media. Often times I find myself comparing my real life experiences to the fabricated ones I see on television and on people’s social media pages. 

I had an amazing time in Cancun and I encourage college students to experience spring break at least once. But I also feel that you should be aware that there are many ups and downs that television will not show you. Sleazy guys, overpriced food, and violence are only some of the cons and things to be aware of before you go on any spring break trip! 

All in all, I’ve decided spring break is what you make of it. Whether it includes being lit or relaxing on the beach, as long as you are having a good time , it’s worth it.   

My name is Daria and I am currently a junior at SUNY Albany. I am studying biology and hope to, one day, become a nurse practitioner.