Song by Song Review of Beyoncé’s Album: Beyoncé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

“Pretty Hurts”

This is one of my favorite songs on the album. It’s all about women and beauty and how media wants women to be a certain way. The way media throws out “suggestions” for women to be lighter skinned and a size zero with long flowing blonde hair, not only hurts their self esteem, but it hurts when they go out to get surgery to fix their “imperfections”.

“Haunted” 

Recently featured in “Fifty Shades of Grey” this is one of the sexiest songs on this album. It’s a little haunting to listen too. It gives you an erie feeling, but it was probably a good choice of song to be put in “Fifty Shades”. What makes it great is that it’s not what we’re used to hearing from Queen Bee. She really went out for this one. 

“Drunk In Love”

Beyoncé and Jay-Z, the husband and wife duo, join together on this track. This song just screams love, literally. These two definitely had fun with this song; the highlight is the video. Two artists in love, carefree living and dancing on the beach at night. Also Beyoncé shows off her rapping skills in this song, but just a little bit. 

“Blow”

Another sexy song on the album. You can’t help but dance when listening to this song. The name of the song is definitely self-explanatory as to what she’s singing about. Her vocals never disappoint though even if she’s talking about “turning the cherry out.”

“No Angel”

Beyoncé isn’t an angel? I’m shocked. She sure sounded like one in this song with her falsetto laden voice. Again she never disappoints and that’s why it’s hard to believe that she isn’t one of those heavenly creatures. 

“Partition” 

“Hey Miss Carter”, this song is another sexy song with a sick beat. It also includes “Yonce”, something like an anthem for young girls who are into themselves, “all on Instagram cake by the pound.” 

“Jealous”

Isn’t the person she’s singing about mad right now? Because if I was him I would surely be upset that I’m no longer with her. She’s “in her penthouse half naked” for heavens sake! Why would you let someone like that go. This song reminds me of “Ring The Alarm” because it’s like she’s actually talking about someone or something in her real life. 

“Rocket”

This right here’s a baby maker. Another very intimate song on the album, it reminds me of an early 90s song. Something that Ginuwine or Joe would sing. This is something my mom and dad would slow dance to at a club or a wedding party. Love it!

“Mine”

The beginning sounds like something I would hear at a ballet recital. “All I’m really asking for is you”. This is another one of those songs that speaks to someone. Who is this “we” that you 
speak of Beyoncé? I love that Queen Bee put Drake on this track, he adds a little flare to the song. 

“XO”

This song reminds me of summer. I would play this on a road trip to the beach or an amusement park. The lyrics of the song are full of love such as “baby love me lights out.”

“***Flawless”

This song screams lady power! Beyoncé just wants women to be proud of who they are and realize just how flawless they are no matter what the world may think. 

“Superpower”

This song reminds me of the old Beyonce. Frank Ocean is also on this song and gives a powerful duet experience. Both of their voices make this song wonderful and it has a good message, “yes we can, couldn’t break us down.”

“Heaven”

“Heaven couldn’t wait for you.” This is such a sad song and you can hear the pain in Beyoncé’s voice. I would want this song to be played at my funeral. 

“Blue”

This song is all about Blue Ivy. It’s a beautiful song about Beyoncé’s love for her daughter. And to top it all off Blue is featured on it, giggling in the end.

Beyoncé never disappoints! This is one of the best albums and I can’t wait for more.

(Picture Source: PopSugar.com)
Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!
Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!