Racquel Saddler: From UA to DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

(From left to right: First Lady, Michelle Obama and Raquel Saddler.)

First off, what is your major and when are you expected to graduate?

My major is political science and I will be graduating in May 2015!

What are your plans for post-grad life?

I plan on going to law school and possibly finding a job in the political arena either here in Albany or in Washington D.C.

What clubs and organizations have you been a part of at UAlbany? What positions have you held?

I am currently a member of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity. I have also served in the Student association as the Assistant Director of Academic Affairs, and Assistant director of Legislative Affairs and now after interning in Washington for a semester I’ve reprised my role as Deputy Director of Legislative Affairs.   Thus far, what has been your best experience or accomplishment since being at UA?

My biggest, best, and most rewarding experience and accomplishment since being at UA has to be interning at the White House in Washington DC under the administration of President Barack Obama. If it were not for the semester in Washington program offered by UAlbany, I don’t know how feasible it would be for me to even do it. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In 20 years?

In ten years, I intend to have my law degree and continue making strides towards my ultimate goal of becoming a politician through serving the community in any and every way that I can. In twenty years, I’d love to say that I accomplished my goal and passion of being a voice for the voiceless through being an elected official. 

What do you stand for? What makes you wake up every morning knowing you’re making a difference?

This is actually a very amazing question. I stand for success. I stand for making sure that the people I surround myself with and I are all in the position to do the best that we can. I stand for helping others in everything that I do. I stand for equality and improving race relations in the United States through education. 

Give us some words of advice for all the strong, independent ladies at UAlbany wanting to make a difference.

“Don’t doubt yourself.” “never give up, never give in, never.  Never. Never.”

What is next for Racquel Saddler?!

For the Spring 2015 I will be participating in the NYS Senate Assistant program, graduating, and starting Law School in the fall! 

(Photo Courtesy of Racquel Saddler) 

Georgina is a former student at the University at Albany, aspiring writer and current barista. 
Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!