Old Time Songs That Are Sure To Get You Dancing

“Blame It On The Boogie”- The Jacksons

First dropped in 1978, this song is sure to get you dancing. As the Jackson brothers got older, their music got better. Our parents back in the 80s were dancing to this and it’s a song that’ll get us jumping too.

“This Is How We Do It” – Montell Jordan

“It’s Friday night and I feel alright.” Released in 1995, this song is perfect for a 90s party and its catchy tunes will have you dancing all night. 

“Push It” – Salt-N-Pepa

“Ooh Baby Baby, Baby Baby.” Released in 1986, this song is still popular, as it was heard recently in a GEICO commercial. You can’t help but dance to this song even when it’s in a commercial.

“I Wanna Dance With Somebody” – Whitney Houston

Another 80s song, sung by the late Whitney Houston, the song title even lets you know it’s a dance song. When listening to this song, I always dance with someone or by myself. Either way I’m dancing.

“Baby Got Back”- Sir Mix A Lot

Released in 1992, this song still gets everyone jumping. Nicki Minaj even sampled some of the lyrics and beats in her song “Anaconda.”

“Poison”- Bell Biv Devoe

I just want to break out into old dance moves like the “running man” and the “cabbage patch” when listening to this song. It’ll never get old.

“Cotton Eyed Joe”- Rednex

“Where did you come from, where did you go, where did you come from Cotton  Eyed Joe.” This is the ultimate dance party song. My first night at UAlbany, this song played at orientation and everyone broke out into the Cotton Eyed Joe dance.

Edited by Toni Moy

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!