bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The National Eating Disorder Association Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

By definition, an eating disorder is any range of psychological disorders that disrupt normal eating habits. I’m sure many of you have heard of anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa. Some common warning signs that you or a friend may have an eating disorder are dramatic weight loss, evidence of binge eating, extreme concern with body image. There are many more signs that you can read about at https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/warning-signs-and-symptoms.

Once diagnosed with an eating disorder, it is extremely important that this individual get treatment. Eating disorders are a mental illness, and they are nothing to be ashamed of. There are many ways to receive treatment. Specifically for University at Albany students, the UAlbany counseling center is always an option. Another facility that has great treatment programs is HPA/Livewell. HPA/Livewell provides intensive outpatient programs along with outpatient treatment for eating disorders and various other mental health issues.

Eating disorders are a serious issue among women and men, and I encourage you all to gain knowledge and spread awareness on this topic. One way to do get involved on the fight against eating disorders is to attend the annual National Eating Disorder Association walk on October 7th, happening right in Colonie, New York. This year the focus for the NEDA walk is “I am enough”, (a perfect focus for this walk if I do say so myself). Thank you to treatment centers, especially HPA/Livewell that help individuals suffering from eating disorders.

Remember, you are enough! I hope that some of you have the time to attend this wonderful walk.

My name is Daria and I am currently a junior at SUNY Albany. I am studying biology and hope to, one day, become a nurse practitioner.