Meet Felix Abreu: Newly Elected SA President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Ashanti: How does it feel being elected student association president?

Felix: It feels great. Having transferred here fall of 2013 you wouldn’t think that becoming president was possible but, you should always aspire to do bigger. I mean it’s surreal I never saw myself being in this position.

Ashanti: You are basically the voice of the entire student campus. Are you feeling the pressure just yet?

Felix:Yes, I mean I’m feeling the pressure a lot. Whenever I’m walking around campus I see people who I haven’t formally met and they’ll just come up to me and say “Yo, congratulations”. I tell them thank you and that I appreciate their vote because believe or not, every vote did count.

Ashanti: Your term here didn’t start yet but what kinds of things are you doing right now to prepare yourself to take office in the fall?

Felix: Well, I’ve been shadowing the current members of the student association and keeping close contact with Jarius [current President]. He’s been giving me insight on things I should be made aware of. We’re just transitioning right now to make ourselves better familiarized with the system.

Ashanti: That is a lot to take in, but before we get into details I want people to get to know you better. So, give us a quick synopsis of your background. Where are you from? Who is Felix Abreu?

Felix: Okay so my name is Felix Abreu, I grew up in the Bronx, New York I went to TAFT Educational Campus, Bronx High School of Business and I am Dominican. That is really special to me because not only am I here as Felix but I am here as a representative for all Latinos around campus. Further more, I am a first generation college student pursing my Bachelors in Computer Science minoring in Informatics.

Ashanti: I asked for a synopsis and you definitely gave me one! (Lol). Just a side note, I am very familiar with the Bronx; I used to live on E149th street.

Felix: Aye, I used to be over there! Shout out to the Bronx.

Ashanti: Okay Felix, so why SA president? Why not councilman, or senator at large?

Felix: As I got more involved on campus I began to pursue higher positions within my organization because I love the leadership aspect of it all, I like being able to lead people, to be their resource. You know God has a calling for everyone and I feel like he has it set up for me to do bigger things. So here I am.

Ashanti: As you said earlier every vote counted, so now that you’ve been elected I want to know a little bit about the plans you have for the student body.

Felix: So when I was running for office, we ran on a three-point plan, clarity, community, and consistency. Clarity; we want to make sure students are aware of what Student Association has to offer, we also want to clear the misconceptions students may have about SA. Community; we are looking to revamp the communications department because we think it is important to engage the students and be able to listen to their ideas. SA is a student ran organization so our job is to represent the students as much as possible. We are also looking forward to engaging the outside community, especially the youth in the area.  Consistency; basically just being consistent with the plans for progression we have for our campus community. Especially with the recent incidents on campus we want everyone to feel welcomed.

Ashanti: So, this is completely off topic but I want the people reading this to read this and say I know Felix and I trust in his leadership. The only way to do that is to tell us a little more about you! So quickly give me 5 things people should know about you.

Felix:

I like that question (lol) but five things people should know about me?

1.         I play basketball #Ball is Life

2.         I have 5 brothers and 5 sisters

3.         My favorite artist include J-Cole, Big Sean, Party Next Door and Bryson Tiller

4.         I know how to play the piano

5.         I one day aspire to build my own company entitled B.L.U.E. I.T  (Building.Leaders.Up.Everywhere.In.Technology) the goal is to provide technological services to business so they are able to pursue their highest level of success.

Ashanti: Is B.LU.E.I.T like a mapped out thing already?

Felix: It actually is, I’ve been plotting every since my trip to Dominican Republic.

Ashanti: That is amazing Felix, and I follow up with you about that later on but for now I want talk more about some fun topics! So, I did a little research and I heard that a nickname for you around campus is Stephen Curry! (lol) when did that start up?

Felix: (lol) yeah I remember it started in High School, I just started playing ball my sophomore year and Steph attended Davidson College at the time and he was wilding out, dropping buckets. I didn’t really know much of him then but my close friend insisted I look him up because he thought we looked a like. One day after practice I went home and looked at one of his Davidson highlight videos and they had a close up of him and I was like WOAH. He looks too much like me. (lol). Every since then it stuck to me, I don’t mind that people call me that, I kind of accept it now. Lol.

Ashanti: That is hilarious, but now you know I got to ask a question for the ladies here… is there an Ayesha Curry?

Felix: OOOOH MY GOOOD. Lol Na, I’m refraining from answering that question right now. Oh wow! Lol.

Ashanti: Lol. Well ladies our up and coming SA president is single? Taken? We don’t know! Maybe next time.

Felix: Yeah next time for sure.

Ashanti: Okay Felix, I’m going to wrap it up with that and ask you if you want to make any shout outs or acknowledgements at this time.

Felix: I would like to give a special thanks to everyone who has supported me since day one! We have a lot of things to work on, but I’m not doing this just for myself but I’m doing this for my people.

Ashanti: Once again I want to thank you for joining me today, and I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors. Until Next Time. 

Ashanti Dunn

Albany '18

.
Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!