Malena Kovalevsky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

What is your major, year, and expected graduations date?

My major is Communications and Geography expected graduation date May 2016

What does you role as Service Vice President of Alpha Phi Omega involve?

Along with my Co-chair Ronny Pena we plan and coordinate service events for brothers to attend to complete their 30 hours of community service a semester. Our chapter has done over 3,000 hours of community service this semester alone. We also keep track of all the hours for the brothers of our chapter. We have about 150 members.

Being a co-ed fraternity, what is different about Alpha Phi Omega to regular sororities or fraternities?

Our fraternity is really cool because there are a lot of people passionate about doing community service so it’s a really cool environment to be around people that love to serve. There’s socializing too but the main thing that we focus on is community service.

Why would you recommend people getting involved in your fraternity?

If anyone loves doing community service and want to make new friends, Alpha Phi Omega is the place for you. We also have opportunities for leadership roles and leadership workshops. It’s a really great organization that does a lot of great things for the community.

Are you involved in any other activities either on campus or off?

Outside of Alpha Phi Omega I am a peer advisor in Advisement Services Center on campus. I assist students that come in to make their schedules and any other issues relating to the registration process.

What are you most proud of achieving while being a part of Alpha Phi Omega?

I think just being Service Vice President is really rewarding for me. I have to deal with outside organizations as well as the whole brotherhood. And I really love helping people.

What are some of your highlights being a UAlbany student?

I think all the roads that led me to Alpha Phi Omega were really highlights of my time as UAlbany. I pledged the first semester of my Sophomore year and joining this fraternity really shaped/will shape the rest of my time here at the University.

What do you plan to do once you graduate?

I plan on going to graduate school for either Education or Communciatons. I still have some time to figure that out though.

Photo Courtesy of Malena Kovalevsky

Anna is a 3rd year English and American Studies student at the University of Nottingham. She is currently doing a year abroad at the University at Albany in New York and is now a Campus Correspondent for HC Albany. She has been an online journalist for a number of websites but is now dedicated to the HC team. Anna is hoping to pursue a career in journalism or publishing after finishing university and wants the fast paced life of inner-city living. Coffees for breakfast and cocktails for dinner.