Is Living a Healthy Lifestyle in College Actually Impossible?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Finding time to work out in college seems like the impossible. I get it – you just pulled an all-nighter to get a paper done that was due the next day that you waited until the last minute to do. College is mentally and physically exhausting, so eating healthy is the last thing on your mind when a bag of chips and powdered donuts are calling your name and provide some comfort after a long day.

But, is it really that hard to be healthy in college? I pass the gym and see a packed equipment room and wonder what I’m missing that they have.

Dedication and self-control. That’s all it is.

The power of the mind is often underestimated. Your ruminating thoughts dictate your behavior. If you tell yourself something is hard and you can’t do it – guess what? You probably won’t. Things do not happen overnight and it is important to make the conscious decision to start your journey of self-control.

What motivates you? Why do you want to begin a healthier lifestyle? Is it just a weekly diet to fit into an old dress or is it a lifestyle change? These little things matter because this will dictate your commitment level. If this is an overall lifestyle change, your deepest motivation to change will be enough to help strengthen your self-control to choose a fruit smoothie over a Starbucks’ caramel Frappuccino or take fifteen minutes out of your day to do any kind of exercise.

People make time for what is important to them. If you, your happiness and personal growth are a priority, little steps will be made to begin that journey. I was told it takes 21 days to form a habit. Once small strides are made and locked into your lifestyle, even bigger ones will now be taken and before you know it, that healthy lifestyle you thought was so difficult would just be another part of your daily life.

Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues