iHeartRadio Awards 2015 Winners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

The iHeartRadio awards aired on Sunday, March 29th at 8pm on NBC. They were hosted by the actor, comedian, and music artist Jamie Foxx. At this event, Taylor Swift came out on top winning three awards. Here are the rest of the winners for this year’s iHeartRadio Awards.

Justin Timberlake

Justin Timberlake won the iHeart Radio Innovator Award. According to iHeartRadio, the Innovator Award is the most prestigious award of the evening. He was awarded because of his music and his contributions to the music industry. Way to go Justin!

Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift’s first award of the night was Artist of the Year. She was up against artists like Ariana Grande, Iggy Azalea, Luke Bryan, and Sam Smith. She was well deserving of this award because she did have a great musical year and if she keeps going at this rate, she’ll have many more.

“Shake It Off” – Taylor Swift

This was Taylor’s second win of the night. “Shake It Off” won song of the year. I wasn’t surprised about this win. Every time you turn on the radio this song is playing, and whenever Taylor is on a talk show, she walks out to this song.

“Bang Bang” – Jessie J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj

This popular song won for “Best Collaboration”. It was up against other songs like “Dark Horse”, “Fancy”, “Problemand”, “Talk Dirty”. Out of all of the others nominated, “Bang Bang” gets the most plays on the radio.

Sam Smith

Sam Smith won Best New Artist. This was a very well deserved award for him. Since he came out he has been topping the charts with his music.

“Burnin’ It Down” – Jason Aldean

I’m not much of a fan of country so I don’t know much about this song, but Aldean came out winner of the Country Song of the Year award. He beat out artists like Lady Antebellum, Florida Georgia Line, Eric Church, and Luke Bryan.

“Don’t Tell ‘Em” – Jeremih ft. YG

This song won the Hip Hop/ R&B Song of the Year. It beat out other nominees such as “Drunk In Love” (WOW), “Flawless” (WOW AGAIN), “Loyal” and “New Flame”.

“Summer” – Calvin Harris

Calvin’s song won Dance Song of the Year. It’s a really catchy song and it really does make you want to dance. Great win!

“Take Me to Church” – Hozier

“Take Me to Church” won Alternative Rock Song of the Year. I’m not into rock either, but he beat out artists like KONGOS, Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys and Foo Fighters.

“Blank Space” – Taylor Swift

This is the third award of the night for Taylor Swift. She won for Best Lyrics against “All of Me” by John Legend, “Counting Stars” by OneRepublic, “Habits (Stay High)”- Tove Lo, “Stay With Me” by Sam Smith (WOW), and “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran (WOW AGAIN).

5SOSFAM- 5 Seconds of Summer

This fan club beat out the Bey Hive for Best Fan Army.

Brantley Gilbert

Brantley won the Renegade Award. This award is for standout artists who have “broken boundaries while staying true to themselves.” Congrats to him. 

Edited by Toni Moy 

(Picture Sources: people.com, billboard.com, youtube.com, wikipedia.org, countryperspective.com, genius.com, edmsauce.com, rollingstone.com, 5sos.com, nashville.com)

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!
Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!