How To Start The Semester Off the Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

We are three weeks in to the Fall 2015 semester. Everyone has goals at the beginning of the semester. How can we start the semester off so we can reach those goals?

1. Set Realistic Goals 

It’s good to have goals, but setting goals that you can actually reach is better. Set small goals. Start off with daily goals, then weekly goals, then bi-weekly goals, etc. You’ll start to see a difference in yourself, school work and other activities. 

2. Purchase and Use a Planner

Planners are my saving grace and I know they will help you too. Put everything that you need to do in your planner. If you are a part of different organizations, color code your planner using markers and highlighters. It’ll make is way easier for you. You will never forget that paper you have to hand in or that you have a sorority meeting tomorrow at 8 p.m.

3. Be Familiar With the Syllabus 

For all of your courses, the syllabus is your best friend. Learn it like your life depends on it, because well it does. Everything that you need to know will be on that syllabus. The professors name, email, office hours, the time your class meets, the textbooks you need, etc. 

4. Go to Class

You may not want to, but you HAVE to go to class. Think about the other times you’ve skipped or a friend has skipped class and you missed something very important. Didn’t you feel like you were 10 classes behind? It may be fun to stay home and rest and watch Netflix, but it isn’t fun when you fail an exam or a paper because you missed class. 

5. Work Out

Working out not only helps you stay in shape, but it is a way to relieve stress. You can go to the gym with a friend, a group exercise or do workouts in you dorm room just do them and relieve some unwanted stress. 

6. Buy the Textbooks

I can already hear your groans. Yes the texbooks are very expensive and sometimes the teacher only wants you to purchase the book for the one graph on page 180, but if it is a REQUIRED textbook get it. There are cheaper alternatives other than the school bookstore. Shop around at Chegg, Neebo, etc. 

7. Join Clubs

Clubs are a great way to meet people who are likeminded. Especially if you are a Freshman, join something that you did in high school or something that you’ve always wanted to do. When you join clubs and establish relationships you will have a support system there with you for the remainder of the semester. 

8. Live Clutter Free

Most of us study in our rooms and when there is clutter around it doesn’t make for a good study area. Remove all of the clutter so you can focus on your studying and your papers and even sleep better at night. 

9. Go to Office Hours

Take advantage of your professor’s office hours. For some classes, this may be the only time you can have one on one time with your professor. Some classes are so big that your professor won’t know your name. When you go to office hours, you have the chance to introduce yourslef and build a relationship with the professor. Who knows he or she may even write you a letter of recommendation for graduate school, a job or internship. 

10. Make A Friend In Each Class

If there is ever a time when you can’t make it to class or you don’t understand a homework assignment you should have a friend that could help you out. Having a friend to help you and you help him or her can help boost your grade. So go and smile and introduce yourself to someone. 

11. Study 

There will be times when you will be tired and overwhelmed and you won’t want to study, but trust me it WILL pay off in the end. Take a breather, get a snack, gather some classmates and study. 

12. Relax

Take a breather every now and then. You can have fun, when appropriate. Go out with your friends, take a weekend trip home, stay in and watch Netflix, etc. Relaxtion is very important. 

Happy Fall Semester! 

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!