assorted zodiac signs?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
assorted zodiac signs?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration on Canva for Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

Hair Color Trends to Try Based on Your Zodiac Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Hair dye is a fun, simple way to change up your look without doing anything drastic (or permanent) to your natural style. I first dyed my hair in elementary school when I asked my hairdresser for black streaks instead of highlights because my angsty 12-year-old brain had to do the opposite of everything popular. During my freshman year, I started dying my hair myself, starting with the color purple. I’ve failed miserably, but it’s always a great feeling at the end when you wash out the dye and fall in love with a new image of yourself! Here are a few hair color inspos based on each astrological sign and the traits associated with them. If you know your full birth chart refer to your ascendant (rising sign). If not, you can refer to your Sun sign which is what most people know. 

Aries: Red/Ginger 

Aries is ruled by Mars and is probably the zodiac sign your mind runs to when you hear “fire signs”. Aries are initiators, passionate, and are all about acting in the moment. Aries would definitely enjoy having a fiery and bold hair color. Rihanna, for instance, has an Aries ascendant and she was known for bright, red hair for an entire era of her career. 

Taurus: Rose Gold 

Taurus is an Earth sign ruled by Venus. A Taurus’ energy is steadfast, dependable, and completely stubborn. They can appear earthly, yet dreamlike thanks to Venus. For Taureans, I chose Rose Gold because it’s flowery, simple, and it can be easily dyed back to any natural hair color in case the change is too much for your consistency-loving soul to bear. It also looks great in an ombré style if you don’t want to dive head-on into hair dying.  

Gemini: Split Dye 

The world is yours with this one, Geminis! You could go with the classic black and white, or any other colors that suit your personality. A Gemini is notorious for being “two faced”, but that can be an unfair description. Gemini is an air sign ruled by Mercury, and they have a slew of interests. Most of all, they can definitely talk your ear off. Geminis are adaptable, curious, and quick learners. Unlike their neighbor, Taurus, they hate routine. Which is why the unconventional split dye is perfect for Gemini — you don’t have to decide on one color! 

Cancer: Icy/Silver Blue 

Cancer is a water sign ruled by the Moon. Its energy is sentimental, emotional, protective, and, at times, a bit moody. The Moon also rules over the mother, which has created the lighthearted stereotype that Cancers are the “mom friend” of any group. Cancers are equally as tenacious as they are nurturing, which is why I think a shiny, metallic blue is a perfect ode to all Cancers and the Moon itself.

Leo: Honey Blonde      

I”m a Leo Sun and I totally believe that most people with personal placements in Leo care so much about their hair. Leo is a fire sign ruled by the Sun. Being symbolized by the Lion, we love our manes dearly and deserve nothing short of the best! Leo energy is warm, creative, passionate, and, yes, self-centered (the planets revolve around the Sun, after all). Leos love to feel confident, and honey blonde can make anyone shine like our ruler. 

Virgo: Balayage 

Virgo is an Earth sign ruled by Mercury. It’s all about the details when it comes to dealing with Virgo. Virgo is hardworking, helpful, and at all times a critical thinker. Therefore, I think the beautiful and technical Balayage is perfect for all Virgos. Color combination and placement mean everything when creating a stunning look, and this elegant style can be played up with vibrant colors or make your natural hair color multidimensional. 

Libra: Pastel Peach 

Libra is an air sign ruled by Venus. Libras are sociable, friendly, and classy. They’re also welcoming and are known to adapt depending on who they’re with. I feel like pastel peach is a perfect color for their open energy. It isn’t an intimidating color, and it goes with a plethora of looks. It’s also a modern twist on the classic strawberry blonde look. A pastel peach color can make you look soft, youthful, and glowing, just how Venus likes it.  

Scorpio: Wine Red 

A little purple, a little red, a whole lot of witchy energy is perfect for any Scorpio, which also happens to be my ascendant. Scorpio is a water sign ruled by Mars. We are keen, determined, intense, and can be generally distrusting. Scorpio is also associated with Plutonian themes like death (transformation) and is usually seen as a darker sign. But we harbor a lot of creativity and like to feel powerful. Which is why I think a dark wine red is great for Scorpio. It is a rich, deep color with hues as almost as intense as our glare.  

Sagittarius: Unicorn Hair 

Sagittarians are fire signs ruled by Jupiter. Jupiter is known for luck and similarly, and unicorns are associated with luck in mythology. Even the symbol associated with Sagittarius and its constellation is an archer with a half human, half horse body. Sagittarius energy is idealistic, humorous, philosophical, and impatient. Sagittarians are known for being free-spirited, which is why I think “unicorn hair” is all the beautiful chaos Sagittarius embodies for the perfect hairstyle.  

Capricorn: Silver 

Capricorn is an earth sign ruled by its father Saturn. Despite being neighbors, Capricorns emit a very different energy than Sagittariuses. The latter likes to run wild and free, whereas the former is reserved and responsible, sophisticated and disciplined, unemotional, and sometimes pessimistic. Capricorns are all about working hard and have an air of maturity. I feel silver hair compliments Capricorns greatly. Silver gives one an appearance of being calm and collected, which is a face Capricorn works tirelessly to maintain. Ariana Grande, a Capricorn rising, has sported silver hair in a few outfits and on her Sweetener album cover. 

Aquarius: Green 

Aquarius is an air sign ruled by Saturn, like Capricorn. Despite having the same ruler, Capricorns and Aquarians both display Saturnian behavior differently. Aquarius energy is also associated with Uranus and comes off as humanitarian, intelligent, progressive, and unpredictable. Aquarians often express their emotions and personality uniquely than those around them, which is why I think green hair fits best. Depending on the shade, it can make you look earthy, alien, or even mermaid-like. A truly dynamic color for an even more dynamic Aquarius. Nicki Minaj, an Aquarius rising, has notably rocked green hair many times. 

Pisces: Lilac/ Lavender Purple 

This color made me want to risk it all during freshman year of high school, and I think it’s a very fitting color for all Pisces. Pisces is the last sign in the Zodiac calendar and is a water sign ruled by Jupiter and influenced by Neptune. Pisces energy is deeply sympathetic, artistic, escapist, and dreamlike. I think Lilac is perfect for Pisceans because the color itself is soft and dreamy, and the silver undertones can make anyone look ethereal!

N/A