Guide to Making Dark Marks Disappear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

2017 has been the year of skincare, many people took to YouTube or blogs describing their skincare routine. After watching multiple “My Skincare Routine” videos I was hooked. I became obsessed with skincare.  As a teen I suffered from constant breakouts, which left me with dark spots, hyper-pigmentation, and blemishes. I sought out many methods to lighten my dark spots and here are some ways that have worked for me. 

Exfoliate 

Exfoliating removes dead skin cells and makes room for new skin to regenerate. The layer of skin with dark marks will slowly begin to fade. You can use an exfoliating brush or sponge. 

Face Masks 

There are tons of face masks used specifically for lightening dark marks and brightening your skin.  I love making my own DIY face masks and my personal favorite consists of Aztec Bentonite clay, lemon juice and honey. You can also buy premade face masks such as Freemans Sweet Tea and Lemon Peel-off Clay Mask or Yes-To Grapefruit Mud Mask. Keep an eye out for the ingredients Vitamin C(ascorbic acid) and Vitamin E (tocopherol acetate) if you choose to buy any other mask. 

Skin Oils 

Using oils on your skin can nourish your it and leave it feeling soft and smooth. There are oils that are also used specifically for dark marks and uneven skin. Rosehip oil is filled with Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and other antioxidants, which support scar healing and skin regeneration. You can also buy Vitamin E oil or Vitamin C serum on its own. 

Sunscreen 

This step is essential in your skincare routine. Sunscreen protects your skin from the sun, without it your dark marks will get a perma-tan. Sunscreen will make sure your dark marks won’t get darker.