Dove’s Body Positivity Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Dove is a brand that’s known for its encouragement and embrace of diversity and authenticity within women, and now- young girls. For years, they’ve produced several campaigns and advertisements with the inclusion of a variety of women. Dove features women with all different types of body shapes, skin color, and ethnicities. Nonetheless, each commercial produced truly represents their message: “Every body is beautiful.” However, with Dove’s new campaign launch, Girl Collective, they hope to ensure that their message is amplified to young girls worldwide.

For Dove, Girl Collective is not just any other campaign or marketing stunt, but something much more- a sisterhood. Through Girl Collective, Dove expressed how “6 in 10 girls believe that to do well they have to look a certain way.” 6 in 10 girls believe that they are not good enough because of how they look. 6 in 10 girls believe that they are unworthy and undeserving of success, just because they don’t look a “certain” way. 6 in 10 girls genuinely believe that they aren’t, to put simply, enough. Thus, through this sisterhood, Dove is determined to teach girls that they are enough. Girl Collective is dedicated to change the way how girls view themselves by building body confidence and breaking beyond society’s beauty stereotypes for women and girls.

By the way, as if this can’t get any better- Dove’s Girl Collective campaign is led by the creator of the #1 show (Grey’s Anatomy) every girl has binge watched, at one point or another- Shonda Rhimes!

In today’s society, it’s easy and 100% understandable as to why young girls are heavily pressured and influenced by others. With social media platforms filled with pictures of models and celebrities, like Instagram and Snapchat, it’s inevitable for young girls to get trapped and sucked into the internal horrors of comparison. Yet, our future is only as strong as our youth, so it’s important to consistently remind them of their power, worth, and strength. And, as always, Dove motivates us to keep encouraging, embracing, and empowering our sisters and their beautiful differences!

Julia is a freshman writer at the University at Albany's chapter of Her Campus. Originally being from Staten Island, she intends to major in Linguistics at UAlbany. In the future, Julia plans on pursuing a career in speech pathology. Besides her dream of becoming a speech pathologist, she has always loved to write and wondered how to incorporate writing in her future endeavors. Her Campus enables her to do what she loves and hopefully continues to provide her with many more opportunities! To get a closer, more intimate look at her life- follow her on Instagram: @juliaabonoan.
My name is Daria and I am currently a junior at SUNY Albany. I am studying biology and hope to, one day, become a nurse practitioner.