Christmas Playlist: Our Top 12 Christmas Tunes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

With finals approaching and procrastination becoming more and more appealing, nothing beats a good music playlist to help you get through that mountain of essays and studying. What better way to get through exams, and to get you in the Christmas spirit, than to listen to (and belt out) some great Christmas tunes! After all, the best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear! Good luck with finals, Merry Christmas and enjoy our Christmas playlist!

1. Fairytale of New York –  The Pogues

This is one of the most popular Christmas songs in the United Kingdom. It’s not one of the most traditional songs as the writers wanted it to be different from the usual “slushy” Christmas songs, and they certainly achieved that with the theme of an unhappy couple and questionable lyrics. But that’s what makes it so great (and because it’s set in New York City)!

2. All I Want for Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey

Who doesn’t love to sing along to this 20 year old classic? Especially when Mariah Carey is frolicking in the snow with Santa Clause. It’s also one of Carey’s best selling singles of all time.

3. Baby It’s Cold Outside – Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone

This song isn’t really about Christmas, more about bad winter weather, but it’s still a classic. Also this version is from the best Christmas film ever, Elf, so it’s acceptable on a Christmas playlist.

4. Last Christmas – Wham!

Another cheery one to add to the list. Christmas isn’t always about snow and reindeer, sometimes heartbreak happens too! This one is a great one for singing at the top of your lungs though instead of doing work. 

5. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Darlene Love

This is the perfect Christmas song to listen to on your way home for the Holidays. It’s also the song featured in Christmas with the Kranks when Blair makes an impromptu visit home.

6. 8 Days of Christmas – Destiny’s Child

Christmas wouldn’t be complete without a bit of Destiny’s Child dressed in Santa costumes in a store. Who doesn’t want a diamond belly ring, dirty denim jeans and quality T-I-M-E?

7. Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt

This girl has some very expensive taste. I’m sure we’d all love to see some of these gifts under the Christmas Tree this year!

8. Jingle Bell Rock – Bobby Helms

What a bright time, it’s the right time to rock the night away. That’s right everyone, get your sexy Santa costumes out, it’s time for the Mean Girls Christmas talent show routine (don’t pretend you don’t know it!)

9. White Christmas – Bing Crosby

This song just sets the Christmas mood, you can imagine yourself baking cookies and spending time with family around the fire as snow falls outside. We’ve already had a white Thanksgiving this year so hopefully we’ll get the same for Christmas, as long as we don’t have to go outside in it for too long!

10. Santa Claus is Coming to Town – Jackson 5

Another classic to add to the list, this is just a really uplifting Christmas song to get you excited and cheery for the festive season.

11. Sleigh Ride – Ella Fitzgerald

This song has been recorded by multiple artists, but Ella Fitzgerald’s version is one of the best. Her jazzy upbeat version will definitely help you through studying.

12. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Frank Sinatra

Although this is a slow song, it’s such a classic and has an upbeat message celebrating having a Merry Christmas. Also who doesn’t love a bit of Frank Sinatra’s crooning? 

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!