Chrisel Martinez: Resident Assistant and Member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Chrisel Martinez.

Name: Chrisel Martinez

Major: Economics

Minor: Business

What you want to do with that:

I hope to one day have my own after school foundation within Harlem for underrepresented youth.  In doing so, I’m learning through my studies principles of business and economics that will help me in the future.

Harlem is being gentrified and smaller businesses are being cut so everything that I’m learning now ties into my plan.

Classification: Senior, graduating in the spring.

Birthday: September 15th

Hometown: Harlem, NY

How involved are you on campus?

I’m very involved. I’m a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and serve as my chapters corresponding secretary. Also, I’m President of the NPHC (National Pan Hellenic Council).  I’m also a part of ResLife, serving as a resident assistant.

Wow that’s a lot of responsibility! Do you ever find yourself pressed for time? What made you choose your major?

Yes, I’m always always thinking what’s next.  Like everyone, I procrastinate, but I always get my work done.

Did you see yourself where you are today, five years ago?

Definitely not.  Five years ago, I was still in high school, and not involved. I was more about boys. It wasn’t until my senior year that I started to get involved. I took leadership on setting up ‘after prom,’ activities with my friends, and planned everything. It was from then I saw leadership skills in myself. My old self would be proud of me today.

What is your favorite college moment?

To narrow it down to one, we’d have to take it back to my freshman year. I went out a lot back then, as my workload was easier. I’m glad I took advantage of that, plus I always found time to study. 

My birthday is in September, and it fell on a long weekend, so a lot of my friends from school went home. My suite was quiet for once- but it was kinda nice. My friend from home came up to see me, and everything was pretty normal. To celebrate, we went to pregame at another friends house, and everyone surprised me screaming “happy birthday!”  I ran away and started crying, there were like 50 people there. It was so nice to see everyone there, celebrating me.

What is your favorite campus hangout spot?

I’d have to say the Science Library. It’s the one spot where I can get everything done.  When I’m there it’s ‘me time,’ there’s no distractions.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to freshmen?

Use your resources- get a mentor.  My mentor and I have been great friends since my freshman year, and her guidance has helped me in so many ways . Everyone thought that she was my sister- we look alike!

That’s some great advice. What is one thing you wish you knew before you started college?

To take things day by day, and that there should always be a lesson from mistakes.

This past week was your sorority’s ‘Skee-Week,’ what was your favorite part?

To kick off the week, my sorority hosted a Women’s Conference, where we discussed feminism. My favorite part was being able to speak to everyone.  I loved the content and conversation.  It was an empowering experience for the females that attended, as everybody was able to leave with more knowledge than they came in with.

I’m here to serve, so this was my moment to uplift the community.

I also enjoyed the kickback we hosted, having fun, and playing games are a good time.

Favorite quote?

“No one is you and that is your power.” Dave Grohl

I’m almost graduating, and I’m figuring out what I want to do.  No one is special.  Someone else is doing something great.  Having that mindset pushes me to only go harder each and everyday. It’s very empowering- everyone has special gift.

Tell us three fun facts about yourself?

●           I eat like a five year old- chicken fingers, fries, hot dogs.

●           I love playing games.  I can play frisbee/dodgeball.

●           Very active, I enjoy going on walks and  playing with kids.

Stay connected with Chrisel:

Instagram

@seek_ahime

Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues