Campus Celebrity: Michelle Berko

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Meet Michelle- a sophomore with a double major in psychology and communications, with a minor in art and English.  She’s from the Bronx, born and raised, but Ghana is where she calls home.  Michelle was able to take time out of her busy schedule for a Q&A session

Q: What activities are you involved in school and outside school?

A: I’m a pretty active member on campus.  I serve as a CSA (community service assistant on Dutch, in in the African Students Association where I’m apart of the Education and Awareness committee.  I’m also in Service is Key, NAACP, and UMOJA Dance Team.

Outside of school activities, I have a work study job, and I do hair aswell!  Book me.

Q: Wow that’s a lot.  How do you do it?

Time management is a major key.  The difference between high school and college is the extra time and freedom.  I’m either in class, doing homework, or studying.  I don’t have much free time.  I literally schedule my whole life & make sure everything is planned in advance.

Q:  What are your hobbies?

A: I like to dance and draw, write poetry, and go shopping.  I consider myself a food connoisseur.  I also enjoy working out, and being social/going to social events and programs

Q: Favorite thing about UAlbany?

A: I’d definitely have to say the diversity on campus.  There’s a place or club that everyone can fit into. If there isn’t, you’re able to make your own.  Everyone can feel at home, and I think that’s great.

Q: What do you wish to do when you graduate? Career (What are your goals)

A: Well- after graduation, I plan on starting off as a graphic designer, working my way up to be a creative director.  I eventually want to be in the industry of making commercials/billboards.

Q: Love is in the air this week- what do you look for in a partner?

A: Hmm- I was hoping you wouldn’t ask.  I look for somebody that can help me grow, and be a better person in all ways- spiritually and mentally especially.  We shouldn’t be a burden to each other.  We help each other achieve goals- you know?  Like a power couple.

Q: What’s one piece of advice would you give to freshman?

A: College is a time that you find yourself.  It’s 4 years but it goes by fast.  You have to step out of your comfort zone, that’s the only way you’ll really grow as a person.  Take chances- life is too short, so live to the fullest with no regrets

Keep up with Michelle:

Instagram: @michellemonae_

Twitter: @michellemonae_

Snapchat: lovemimi

Try out for the only African Dance Team on campus- Umoja!

Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues
Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!