This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Memorable would be an understatement to describe my 21st birthday. For months I planned what I’d do, who I’d want around me, and so on. I knew that I wanted to travel somewhere new, (as I started doing annually in 2016) but I had absolutely no idea as to where I wanted to go. This summer was just back and forth with saving up for tuition bills, paying off credit cards, working two jobs to achieve all of this, and beginning life as a new dog mommy. (Of course I’ll have to talk about that later) One day I was scrolling through my emails and deleting unnecessary ones as per usual, and here comes a heaven sent message from Jet Blue about one ways for $99 from New York. Now, I’ve taken that deal before and I said to myself “Oh so they’re doing this again? It’s lit.” I went right to the website and saw that a one way from NYC to TCI was $99. It gets better. I’d forgotten I had Jet Blue points stashed up in my account (6,650 points at the time) and that equaled to the flight amount. Basically my one way was only $5 because of taxes and before I knew it my flight was booked. I immediately started looking for airbnb’s in the TCI area that weren’t too much, and I came across one in Grace Bay. I put the payments down, informed my friends and my mom, and in just a few weeks the four of us were off to Providenciales. Upon arrival to our airbnb, we’d taken in the hot breeze along with the greeting of our friendly driver. Although the spacious truck and empty seats in it made me miss the friends that weren’t able to come on such short notice (Yeah you Shanell, Darnhelle, Kiyah, Dameya, Destenie, Bryana I’m talking to you!) I was extremely grateful for the ones who were able to come. (Shout out to Amber and Kiara. You too mommy!) The airbnb was gorgeous and there were no surprises. The pictures weren’t catfishy at all. For all the visuals take a look at my vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMnrr80iBF4&t=259s. Turks and Caicos was a beautiful island, and although there are more parts to it as a whole (Middle Caicos, North Caicos, Grand Turk, etc.) maybe next time I’ll be able to visit them. The accents were bomb too, and not to mention the food out there, like wow. By the way, shout out to Turkberry because their frozen yogurt and donuts were amazing. I never thought I’d ever get the chance to celebrate my birthday on a beach, but this was one of the dopest experiences yet. The island was a little quiet this time of the year, but if you ever want to travel the world, I suggest this island during the earlier months of summer for sure. Funny enough, my birthday was during their Poker Run Weekend in which they had a bunch of games and activities as well as grand prizes and things like that. Not to mention boat rides and parties and so on. We didn’t get to experience much of it being that my birthday weekend was a little short, but we sure did have a good time and I love me a good ole’ time. This was one for the books. Definitely a great way to begin my 21st trip around the sun. Thanks TCI!

A bomb Bronx girl at heart. A lil Jamaican thang. A whopping 61 inches tall and full of surprises. So far I’ve had 21 trips around the sun. Currently a senior at the University at Albany as well, and I absolutely LOVE to travel!
My name is Daria and I am currently a junior at SUNY Albany. I am studying biology and hope to, one day, become a nurse practitioner.