The Best of New York Fashion Week A/W15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

The 16th of February marked this season’s New York Fashion Week. Fashion week is one of our favourite times of year; the models, the designs, the beauty looks, we just can’t get enough. And of course this season New York did not disappoint. Here is our round up of the best catwalk shows from New York Fashion Week A/W15.

Oscar de la Renta

One of the best collections on the runway was from Oscar de la Renta. This show was Peter Copping’s first as creative director of the brand since Oscar’s death and he promised to be “very respectful, to be true to Oscar’s legacy”. It was an impressive collection with a wide range of colours and designs; from simple everyday dresses to beautiful ball gowns. One of the best looks was Kendall Jenner in a strapless embellished purple and black dress.

Marc Jacobs

Marc Jacobs showcased an impressive collection this year inspired by fashion columnist Diana Vreeland, which he described as “the allure of things that you find beautiful, and the allure of things that you don’t find alluring”. The designs featured bold patterns, fur, sequins, checks, leopard print, florals and more with a mainly blue theme throughout.

Diane Von Furstenberg

Diane Von Furstenberg’s collection featured many pretty designs and patterns on the runway. Diane described the designs as “all about seduction” and “femme fatale”. The runway featured iconic Von Furstenberg looks such as the wrap dress and pinstripes. The collection also featured a lot of lace inserts, bold colours and sheer fabrics.

J Mendel

J Mendel had some very sleek designs on the runway this year. Mendel described the collection as “a celebration of the glamour of New York City nightlife”. The models wore beautiful prints, a lot of monochrome and the occasional hint of bright colour such as red or blue. Many of the designs also featured fringe or sequins.

Marchesa

Marchesa showcased a stunning collection inspired by the 1920s and F. Scott Fitzgerald. The collection was full of fringe, sparkle, sequins and silk. The main colours were black, white, deep red and purple. Many of the designs had intricate detailing and the whole show oozed glamour.

Marc by Marc Jacobs

The Marc by Marc Jacobs fashion show was edgy and youthful. There was a lot of blue, red and black in the collection with 90s style checks and 70s style floral patterns. Designers Luella Bartley and Katie Hillier were inspired by political activist Curtis Sliwa and his Guardian Angels. The collection was reminiscent of the old Marc and “the downtown grunge girl he started with.”

Vera Wang

Vera Wang had a very monochrome catwalk. Her designs were simple, cool and wearable. We loved the oversized coats, jumpers and bomber jackets from the collection. There was also a recurring theme of pretty white petals dotted on the designs, as well as a masculine meets feminine theme.

3.1 Phillip Lim

3.1 Phillip Lim also had a very cool and edgy collection featuring checks, dark colours and a lot of army green. He described the collection as “chaotic but so poetic” with many wearable pieces intended to “challenge the authority of the system of pretty”. We especially loved all the chic but functional bomber jackets. 

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!