This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

The month of February has come, and that means it’s Black History Month!

It is a privilege and an honor to be Black despite societies efforts to make us think otherwise. More specifically, Black women have been placed at the far end of the social spectrum.

We serve as the double minorities, acquiring both “undesirable” demographics (being a woman, and black at that,) in the nation. Sometimes it’s hard to see the benefits we were born with due to  constant suppression of our skin and gender.

Here’s what society doesn’t remind us of ourselves on the daily:

1. Black don’t Crack

Our skin was made for the sun.

Despite the Western world’s attempt to make us think that our skin is “ugly” and “dirty”, they neglect the fact that our melanin rich skin protects us from the detrimental effects of ultraviolet radiation. This protection maintains our DNA, stopping it from damage. As a result, you will find that Black women don’t seem to age as quickly as other women do. That’s why your eighty-year-old grandmother doesn’t look a day over 40. She was blessed with the magic medicine of melanin.

2. Desirable Features

All bodies are beautiful, but it seems in recent years, society has been reaching towards the phenotypes attributed to black women for centuries. We used to be shamed for big lips, thick thighs and curvaceous bodies. Nowadays, everyone seems to be idolizing these characteristics, even going to the extent to get plastic surgery to claim them. The Kardashians didn’t create the hourglass body, WE DID!

3. Hair Versatility

It took some of us a while to realize it (guilty), but we have BEAUTIFUL HAIR! It rises to the sun and grows in lovely coils and curls. Our natural hair may have been clowned in the past, but we own it now. With an abundance of styling options, we can rock anything. Today we can have a full afro, tomorrow a curly puff, the next week a blow dried bun, and the next month a thick full silk press. We can literally do it ALL!

4. Our Culture

Whether Jamaican, Haitian, African, or African-American, we all have traditions and culture indicative to our nationality. We’ve been blessed with a culture unique to any other, full of beliefs, fashions, different cuisines and style. As a woman especially, we have not only upheld- but have broken down some of the stereotypes and ideologies that have been tied to us for centuries such as the idea that we should remain in the kitchen and that our only duty was taking care of the household. As Black women, we’ve proven that we can in fact exist in this world not only domestically, but industrially, upholding both our households and the office.

5. Our Superwoman Spirit

Like aforementioned, Black woman have suffered intersectionality for centuries (oppressed because of our race and our gender). This intersect oppression has caused us pain and suffering that not all may be able to understand and comprehend. But regardless of it all, we were able to rise above both attempts to keep us down and excel universally today. We have acquired the warrior spirit that allowed us to withstand and fight against sexual oppression, color discrimination, gender bias and demeaning controlling images that have tried so much to destroy us. Black women aren’t just ordinary women. We are Superwomen.

These are just a few reasons why it’s great to be a Black woman. We are strong, versatile, beautiful, multitasking machines that have been continuously suppressed in society. Not anymore! We have found our crowning glory, and no one can take that from us. So, look in the mirror, and appreciate your black womanhood!

“Dipped in chocolate, bronzed in elegance, enameled with grace, toasted with beauty. My lord, she’s a black woman.”

Yosef A.A. Ben-Jochannan

Hey girl, hey. Glad you stopped by my page today :) I am a student at the University at Albany majoring in English and a minor in Philosophy and Psychology. I know, its a lot.  I typically like to write about just about anything, and I'm really corny so feel free to make fun of all my cheeky commentary. Hope this is helpful to anyone who ever wants to just relax and learn something new. 
Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues