All Hail Queen Bey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

I like my baby heir with Baby hair and Afros, I like my Negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils” – Beyoncé, Formation 2016

The world sings in unity this Black-Power anthem perfectly released just days before her Super Bowl halftime performance on what would have been the day after Trayvon Martin’s 21st birthday and the day before what would have been Sandra Bland’s 29th birthday. As influential as Beyoncé has come to be, many questioned whether or not she supported the Black Lives Matter movement. Formation illustrates that the artist takes a clear stand for the victims of police brutality as it opens up showing her sitting on top of a sinking cop car.  Other notable symbolic moments in the singer’s music video would have to be the fact that all of her back up dancers was dressed as if they were Black Panthers during the Civil Rights Movement. 

Now that’s how you make a statement!! Beyoncé performed her hit single during the 2016 Super Bowl halftime show and afterward announced a “Formation” world tour.  Fans were ecstatic but were not too happy about pricing.

Tickets are currently selling anywhere between $400-$2,000 per person. Multiple online sources have deemed Beyoncé as the “Greatest Female Performer/Artist Of her time” and rightfully so; her amazing talent and work ethic automatically places her at the very top of the game. Will she ever surpass MJ? NEVER… but, will she ever come close?  why not.

Listen to her hit single “Formation” at Beyonce.com 

Ashanti Dunn

Albany '18

.
Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!