andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Tips on Staying Safe During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Spring Break is rapidly approaching. Whether you’re staying at home or going away on vacation, it’s a time for relaxation. If you’re going on vacation however, here are some tips on staying safe.

1. Travel In Groups

Most college students go abroad for Spring Break. If you’ve never been to a particular city, state or country, it’s imperative that you’re always with someone so you’re never alone.

2. Have Your Cell Phone

If you’re going overseas, make arrangements with your cell phone provider to get international calling and messaging. You can keep in touch with your friends that are on the trip with you, and you can also keep in touch with friends and family back home.

3. Pick A Place That’s Relatively Safe 

Research your destination thoroughly. Once you’ve established where you want to go, research places to stay. Read reviews and make decisions based on what other people had to say about their experiences. Make sure you find out which areas are safe to visit and which ones you should avoid. 

4. Protect Yourself From The Elements

Most students will be going to places with 80 degree or above weather. The last thing you want is to be sun burnt and unable to enjoy all the experiences available! Carry sunscreen, sunglasses and other weather related accessories so you can enjoy the most of your break.

5. Don’t Go Off With Strangers

He may look like a nice guy, but that’s not always the case. Put your guard up and say no or make sure your friends know exactly where you are. You don’t want to be the one on the news that they can’t find. 

6. Be Watchful of Your Drinks When Partying

You’re in the middle of sipping your drink when your favorite song comes on. You leave your drink on the table unattended. Someone sees you leave and slips something into your drink. You come back to finish, and when you take a sip you suddenly don’t feel well. You don’t know who could have put something unknown and harmful in your drink. If you leave your drink unattended, don’t come back and drink it! It’s dangerous.

7. Establish a Designated Driver

If you plan on driving home after a night out make sure there is always a designated driver. The designated driver can be rotated so that everyone could have a chance to have fun. It’s important however that you’re being safe on the roads.

8. Designate A Meeting Place

Plan ahead in the likely situation that someone in your party can get lost. Designate a meeting place that is well populated and easy to find so that you can all regroup and enjoy the rest of your trip. 

Have fun. If you follow all of these rules, your trip will be smooth and you’ll be able to have a lot of fun. 

Edited by Toni Moy

(Picture Sources: theodysseyonline.com, elitegrouptravel.com, t-mobile.com, amazon.com, tumblr.com, sodahead.com, pacificgrilltacoma.com, sbnature.org, fanpop.com)

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!
Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!