3 Signs It May Be Time to Let Them Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

We all have that one person we think we are eternally tied to because of the unconditional love we have for them, making it feel impossible to imagine not having them in your life in some way. After all, time is what makes people stay in relationships for so long. I spent almost a year building with this person for it to just not work out?

It is important to know when a relationship has reached its downfall and when to walk away for your own sake. Contrary to what we are made to believe from movies, our peers and society, dysfunction does not equal love. Yes, relationships are not easy and there will be many ups and downs that test your love for each other but there is a limit. Here are some signs that it may be time to let go of your relationship.

1. They are making you feel crazy

If you find yourself constantly wondering what he is doing, who he is talking to and if he’s lying about where he says he is, your mental state is at risk. Being in constant anxiety and fear of what your partner can be doing is not healthy. Social media can make you feel like it is normal to use his fingerprint while he is asleep to unlock his phone to look through it but this is entering a danger zone. Trust is necessary in a relationship and if you don’t have it, let it go.

2. You two don’t have fun anymore

Isn’t the point of a relationship to actually enjoy your time with them? If most moments shared are filled with awkward silence, resentment and negative feelings towards the other, things need to be reevaluated. If both parties do not agree to put in an effort to move past, forgive or work through what is bothering them, you’ll forget to have fun.

3. The love hurts too much

If the love is hurting you more than it is making you happy, let it go. If it is painful and breaking your heart more than putting a smile on your face, let it go. Your sanity and happiness matters. Love is tough but one thing it always does is fill you with a joy like no other. There is a certain way your loved one completes and compliments you in ways other cannot. If that love doesn’t enable you to grow, evolve and be the best you that you can be, it may be time to walk away.

Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues