Why I Choose to See Our Pets as Guardian Angels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

I’ve always felt a special connection to the animals in my life, and I don’t think I’m alone. Whether it’s my own dog or a friend’s cat, I’ve always felt a pure sense of love that just cannot be explained. Our pets are more than just animals, they’re our family. And when we lose them, it brings true heartbreak. 

That’s why I’ve decided to see our pets as guardian angels. They choose us just as much as we choose them. At least, that’s what I’m going to believe.

There isn’t a connection quite like the one we have with our pets. There is no love quite so pure. Your dog will do anything for you, they’ll trust you with every bit of themselves and sometimes we take that for granted. There is no one in my life who is more excited to see me when I walk into the house. I could leave for two minutes and get the same amount of excitement as I would being gone for two months. 

I choose to believe that the time we have with our pets is just a chance to meet our guardian angels. The more pets you bring into your heart, the more guardians you’ve got. Be grateful for the time you do have, never stop loving them. Give them an extra pet when you walk by, sneak an extra treat in every once in awhile and never forget to show them your love. 

And when they do go, try not to be sad. I know it’s hard, but try to be happy. They’re watching over you now, with no pain or suffering. Imagine them joyous and healthy in their favorite park or hiking grounds. Think of them with their favorite toys and treats, because you know what they loved more than anyone else. And when you need an extra helping hand, or an extra sense of support, don’t be afraid to think of them. They’ll never stop thinking of you, even when they’re gone. 

It brings me a sense of peace to think of our pets like this. It makes me happy to think they’re not completely gone, and that they’ll always be with us. To me, the presence of a pet is the presence of warmth and joy, and I never want to lose that. I just don’t think that when we lose a pet, they’re gone forever. I’ll never be able to believe that, instead I’ve chosen to keep them in my heart forever, as a guardian angel. 

So, if your dog is nearby, give her a rub. If your cat is around, give him a kiss. And if you’ve lost your pet either recently or long ago, I’m sorry. If you can, believe that they’re with you. They’re watching over you, with love and happiness. 

Your guardian angel. 

Kelsey is a senior Justice and Psychology student at the University of Alaska Anchorage. She is the Anchorage Correspondent and writer for the University of Alaska Her Campus chapter. Kelsey is an avid traveler and just finished a five week long backpacking trip through Europe. She is very environmentally conscious and working towards living with less plastic and waste in every aspect of her life. Kelsey is a small business owner of an art studio and fan of all things creative. She is also working towards making her way into the fantasy fiction novel world. Follow her on Instagram @kelseykroon to see travel photos and ideas about how to create less waste!