Style

Three Reasons I Wear So Many Rings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

Over the years I’ve gotten the same question over and over. “Why do you wear so many rings?”

I’ve never felt that my jewelry something unique to me, girls wearing a ring on every finger is something I feel I’ve seen on Tumblr and Instagram pretty regularly. But I guess my use of jewelry sticks out to other people.

Many people that ask can’t understand why I would wear something so “uncomfortable”. But to me, I feel uncomfortable not wearing them. I’ve worn my rings for about five years now. And no, I don’t take them off when I go to bed or when I shower. They are always on.

They’re Sentimental

Quite a few of my rings were given to me by family members. My Aunt set me a ring five years ago on Christmas, it was a turtle. I loved the ring so much I put it on my middle finger and it hasn’t moved since. The next ring came from my mother when she went on a trip to Ireland, two more came from my aunt and one came from my late grandmother’s jewelry box. None of my rings are worth much, but to me they are symbols of the love I have for everyone who gave them. Every day I look at my hands and think of my loved ones who have given me an addition to the collection.

They’re a Token of Memories

The other rings I wear that are not from family, I’ve bought for myself on various trips. I wear an owl ring from Seattle, a garnet ring from Prague and an amber ring from Krakow, Poland. I remember when and where I bought each ring and I think of my travels when I look at them. They’re souvenirs I use every day and love dearly.

They’re a Way I Express Myself

I have two rings that don’t fall into either category above. They were cheap, small rings I bought on the internet because I thought they would go with the other rings I wear. If I lost either of these rings I wouldn’t be upset. They’re just a way I can add to the creative diversity of my jewelry.

So, to answer the question, I wear them because I can. There is no single specific reason why. I feel a sense of pride when I wear them because they make me feel beautiful. And to me, I think that’s reason enough.

Kelsey is a senior Justice and Psychology student at the University of Alaska Anchorage. She is the Anchorage Correspondent and writer for the University of Alaska Her Campus chapter. Kelsey is an avid traveler and just finished a five week long backpacking trip through Europe. She is very environmentally conscious and working towards living with less plastic and waste in every aspect of her life. Kelsey is a small business owner of an art studio and fan of all things creative. She is also working towards making her way into the fantasy fiction novel world. Follow her on Instagram @kelseykroon to see travel photos and ideas about how to create less waste!