Ted Bundy Film, “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile” Coming to Netflix in May

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

After Sundance’s debut of Joe Berlinger’s Ted Bundy biopic, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile, just about everybody had an opinion on the trailer. Some said it glorifies the serial killer, but just as many disagreed.

Berlinger, who also directed Netflix’s Bundy documentary, Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes, defended his portrayal to Bustle. “I think the idea of this particular story, making a movie about Bundy, equals glorification of him is a very naïve and knee-jerk reaction. Because if you actually watch the movie, the last thing we’re doing is glorifying him. He gets his due at the end, but we’re portraying the experience of how one becomes a victim to that kind of psychopathic seduction.”

Well, it looks like we will soon be able to judge the buzzy film for ourselves. Netflix will continue its business with Bundy and Berlinger after securing the film rights in a bidding war with Lionsgate and STX for a whopping $9 million. The film is set to hit the streaming site on May 3, a much sooner date than previously rumored. According to Cosmo, Netflix reportedly was waiting for a fall theatrical release to give Zac Efron a leg up in the following award’s season. As much as we love Zac and want him to get all the awards, we don’t think he needs the extra help—and let’s be honest, we all just want to see the movie already! Check out the new, official trailer—it’s absolutely chilling.

EWSEAV will make its UK debut on the same date, through Sky Cinemas. If you’re the type who scours the web mercilessly for every possible trailer before you watch a movie, you’re in luck. Sky Cinemas also put out their own new trailer:

Mackenzie Sylvester is a senior Digital Journalism student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. She is founder, editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for the University of Alaska Her Campus chapter and a National Writer for HC beauty. Mack is obsessed with all things health, beauty and magazine related. She is a retired hockey player, photographer, Potterhead and world-traveler. Mack is the self-proclaimed Hermione Granger who really was placed in Ravenclaw. Follow her on Instagram @macksylvester27.