Style > Beauty

Five Pinterest-y Tattoo Ideas That Will Inspire Your Next Ink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

What do we do when we want some new ink? Consult a tattoo artist? Ask your bestie’s opinion? Not before delving into a full-on investigative Pinterest tattoo rabbit hole.

Anyone in need of a little tat inspo hops on Pinterest in search of that spark that will *click* the lightbulb on in you head. We thought we’d save you a little time (and sanity) and gather the most pin-able body art on the internet to get you started. 

Wildflowers 

Wild flower tattoos are full of endless possibilities. You can make just about any combination of your favorites.

Alaska has a number of beautiful wildflowers including irises, arctic lupine, forget-me-nots, fireweed and bluebells––all of which would make beautiful, dainty tattoos.

Birth Flower

Another very meaningful floral option is the birth flower. Like a birthstone, each month has a unique flower with a special meaning. The flower’s characteristics can supposedly be inherited by those born in that month.

UAF sophomore Chandler Wassmann got a primrose for her birth month, February. The primrose symbolizes youth and reminds Chandler to be empowered by her femininity. “I originally wanted to get a whole bouquet of different flowers with different healing properties/spiritual meanings, but my birth flower was one that just really stuck out,” she said. “I knew if I did my birth flower and nothing else that it would mean a little bit more to me. I wouldn’t have to pick through each flower in the bouquet to explain what they meant/what they are capable of. My birth flower explains it all.” 

If you’re not wanting to get a flower tattoo solely because it’s really cute and pretty (which is 100 percent okay too), a birth flower is a nice choice to have some meaning behind the art. 

For the Coffee Lovers

If cold brew runs in your veins, this tattoo might speak to you. Instead of a classic coffee mug (also cute), the chemical formula for caffeine is an unusual, nerdy way to show off your love of lattes. 

Alaskan Mountains 

Most Alaskans enjoy the outdoors and all the unique winter activities it has to offer. Many of these involve exploring snowy mountains, whether it be on a pair of skis, a snowboard or a snowmachine. The mountain essence can be captured with even just a few vague, interpretive lines. It doesn’t have to be super intricate and detailed. 

For the Plant Moms

To all the phytophiles out there with names for every succulent, cactus and fern in your home, this one’s for you. Plant tattoos are a good alternative if you enjoy delicate botanical tats, but aren’t too big on florals. 

Whether you refuse to get a tattoo without a deep, personal meaning, or you simply enjoy expressing yourself with beautiful art on your body, remember, the only one who has to like your tattoo is you. 

Mackenzie Sylvester is a senior Digital Journalism student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. She is founder, editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for the University of Alaska Her Campus chapter and a National Writer for HC beauty. Mack is obsessed with all things health, beauty and magazine related. She is a retired hockey player, photographer, Potterhead and world-traveler. Mack is the self-proclaimed Hermione Granger who really was placed in Ravenclaw. Follow her on Instagram @macksylvester27.