Acrylic Pouring is Just as Satisfying To Do Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

Acrylic pouring is a new fad that I think we’ve all seen on “Satisfying” videos. I always looked at them and thought “I don’t think I could do that.” Turns out, I can! And so can you, it’s super easy and an extremely fun to do. Here’s how I did it and hopefully you can do it too!

Get Your Supplies

Get all of your paints, canvas and any cup you don’t care about getting paint in. I don’t like single-use plastics, so I used some Mason Jars that I can clean and reuse later! You need one more cup than you have paints so you have a cup to pour your different colors in. For the paints you just need anything acrylic and try to keep to a color scheme so it can match your home decor! 

Also, don’t forget to put down lots of newspaper so you don’t make a mess in your workspace! 

Fill Your Jars

You want to fill your jars with a mix of paint and water. The consistency should be like buttermilk. Basically, if you shake the jar the paint should leave a thick layer on the sides of it. If it’s too watery the paints will mix together completely and turn a nasty brown in most paintings you do.

Pour the Paint

I like to pour in the paint mixtures from dark to light. In the photo you can see the darker blue on the edges and gets lighter moving in all the way to the gold. You can put your different colors in the empty jar in whatever order you want––this is your painting! Have fun with it!

Put the Canvas on Top of the Jar

Get ready to flip your jar and canvas at the same time by putting the canvas on top of the jar. 

Flip it Over

Hold the jar and the canvas at the same time and flip it over carefully so you don’t spill any paint.

Lift the Jar and Release the Paint!

Lift up the jar and let your paint go free. Once the paint is out, it’s time to spread the paint around on the canvas. Be patient and let the paint spread out evenly. 

Add More Paint Mixture if Needed

Sometimes the paint doesn’t reach the edges, feel free to add some extra of your paint and water mixtures along the sides. Tilt the canvas more and the paints will mix together. 

Make Sure the Canvas is Covered

This is the most important step is to make sure the entire canvas is covered in paint while it is still wet. Once it’s covered let it dry overnight.

Enjoy!

Enjoy your final product!

There were a few things I would change the next time I do this (and there will definitely be a next time!). The white paint I used was pretty old and had clumped, hence the bumps on my final product. I would also use more differing shades. There were two blues that were very similar in shades and you can see there was one spot that seemed like it was the same color blue. Overall, I loved this art project and I really hope you can have fun with it as well!

Kelsey is a senior Justice and Psychology student at the University of Alaska Anchorage. She is the Anchorage Correspondent and writer for the University of Alaska Her Campus chapter. Kelsey is an avid traveler and just finished a five week long backpacking trip through Europe. She is very environmentally conscious and working towards living with less plastic and waste in every aspect of her life. Kelsey is a small business owner of an art studio and fan of all things creative. She is also working towards making her way into the fantasy fiction novel world. Follow her on Instagram @kelseykroon to see travel photos and ideas about how to create less waste!