Style > Beauty

5 Steps for Healthy, Glowing Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

There is a mountain of different ways to get the most optimum, glowing and healthy skin. One of the sure ways I have found in getting a great complexion is by having a skin care routine at the end of my day, even when I’m not wearing makeup. Many of us are tired after a long and busy day or feeling lazy and want to get right into bed. However, getting into the habit of a good skin care routine at the end of the day is going to have life-changing benefits.

Know your skin

The first step to great skin care is knowing your skin type. Do you have dry skin? Oily skin? Or maybe you’re like me and have a combination of dry and oily skin. It’s important to be aware of the way your skin behaves so you can take the appropriate steps to care for it. It’s also important to know exactly what your skin isand how your skin works. Knowing how your skin works can help you understand what causes breakouts. This also includes choosing non-comedogenic products to apply to your skin. This means they do not clog the pores, which is crucial to clear skin.

Always use SPF

Choose a moisturizer or even a foundation with SPF of at least 15. This will protect your skin from sun damage. I like to use Dr. Jart+ Circapair Tiger Grass. Another great choice is by Supergoop!. Even when the sun is not out, UV rays are still there, so be sure to protect your skin. 

Choose your products

Choosing the right skin care products can be tedious, but very important. You’ll need a cleanser, a toner, an essence/serum, a moisturizer and an eye cream. Yes, it is a lot. Yes, it may seem unnecessary and yes, it is a process! However, each product helps in its own way. I make sure my face has absolutely no makeup left by using wipes and/or using an oil-free makeup remover, then following with the golden quintet. 

Utilize the help of your dermatologist

If you have severe acne, I would recommend a visit to your local dermatologist so they can better assist you in battling your acne. I have to give a quick shout-out to my dermatologist, who has helped me battle acne with prescribed medication. If you don’t have the funds to visit a dermatologist, I highly recommend using the AC clinic products by Etude House. 

Drink plenty of water

The most important step to achieve healthy, glowing skin is drinking that H2O. Water can help filter bad toxins in your body, give you more energy, and help you battle dry skin. The simple act of drinking more water might solve all your problems of achieving glowing skin.

Whether you decide to completely reinvent your skin care routine or stick to your tried and true, simply choosing non-comedogenic products, wearing sunscreen, and keeping hydrated will have you well on your way to achieving your healthy glow.

Saemin Chi is a senior Radiologic Imaging student at the University of Alaska and plans to pursue med-school. She is the social media director for the University of Alaska Her Campus Chapter. Saemin is a Pisces, a Potterhead, and a lover of Lana Del Rey. When she isn't busy with school or work, Saemin enjoys reading poetry while listening to Alina Baraz, working out, scrolling through tumblr, putting together outfits, and researching for beauty products to try out. Find her on instagram @vitamin.sae