5 Podcasts More Entertaining Than Your Favorite T.V. Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

Podcasts have come a long way since their random little section on iTunes that no one clicked on. There is a podcast on just about every topic imaginable and they are a great way to get your mind off whatever you might be doing. Whether it’s cleaning, washing dishes, working out or on the commute, listening to a good podcast is a sure way to make the time fly by. Here are a few to get you started.

Thick & Thin

Thick & Thin is a podcast created by YouTuber Katy Bellotte. She touches on all subjects from dating, to everyday life, to goals and careers. Thick & Thin is “the musings of a millennial girl living in New York City about life, love & everything in between.” Katy goes into the ups and downs of life out of college. Her podcast is particularly unique because she does not edit her recordings. She sits down, presses record and talks about whatever is on her mind for about 45 minutes and uploads whatever she got, uncut. It’s real, it’s raw and you will constantly find yourself nodding in agreement with what she’s saying.

Dr. Death

Dr. Death is for all the crime/mystery lovers out there. This true story unfolds over seven episodes told by reporter Laura Beil. Dr. Christopher Duntsch was a confident, charming Texas neurosurgeon who claimed to be the best in Dallas. However, his patients start experiencing…complications to put it mildly, and things only get darker and more twisted as the truth is revealed. This podcast will make you question the trust you put into the health care system. You’ll get the chills no doubt, and probably pray you’ll never need spine surgery.

Guys We F****d

Comedians Corinne Fisher and Krystyna Hutchinson from comedy duo Sorry About Last Night host this racy “anti slut-shaming podcast” where they discuss basically whatever they want with absolutely no filter. Their podcasts will make you laugh, blush to yourself even though you’re the only one listening and get a whole lot of girl power inspiration. Make sure to plan your longer chores or even a plane ride for these episodes because they can run anywhere from an hour and a half to over two hours long each.

On The Line with Estée Lalonde

In Estée’s new podcast, she covers “every sleepover discussion topic you’ve ever been curious about.” She interviews doctors about different birth control methods, speaks to old pals and even brings her own mom on the show. In every episode, Estée answers listener voicemails with questions they have always had, but been too shy to ask. She deems herself a “modern ‘agony aunt’ [who] will answer the questions with the help of the expert guest joining her each week.”

Haunted Visions: Ghosts, Urban Legends and Paranormal Phenomenon

The Haunted Visions podcast is for lovers of the supernatural, history, legends and unsolved mysteries. Disclaimer: some episodes might be a little too creepy to listen to. Hosts Brandy Herrmann and Rachel Flynn delve into the mysterious and unexplainable stories through time. This is definitely not a bedtime podcast—unless you enjoy nightmares. It’s not unbearably horrifying however, it does have just the right amount of comic relief to keep you hooked and coming back for another spooky tale, time after time.

The next time you find yourself doing a tedious, boring task, working out or on a long plane ride, pop in your headphones and give these podcasts a listen.

Mackenzie Sylvester is a senior Digital Journalism student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. She is founder, editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for the University of Alaska Her Campus chapter and a National Writer for HC beauty. Mack is obsessed with all things health, beauty and magazine related. She is a retired hockey player, photographer, Potterhead and world-traveler. Mack is the self-proclaimed Hermione Granger who really was placed in Ravenclaw. Follow her on Instagram @macksylvester27.