Zoe’s Hot Takes: Thoughts on Teen Netflix Classics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Gossip Girl: Overrated

Okay, don’t come for me, Chuck Bass stans. To preface, I do understand the appeal of rich, hot, ambitious “high schoolers” living their best lives in New York. Maybe if I grew up watching it I would have more of an attachment to it, but I found most of the characters to be severely inconsistent, not particularly likable and often frustrating. Although I enjoyed a few characters, and there were definitely episodes that made me want to watch more, I couldn’t seem to suspend disbelief enough to get through all six seasons – or even three.

Friends: Overrated

There is no minimizing Friends’ success and cultural impact, but the show had its time and place and that doesn’t seem to be in 2020. I know this isn’t the hottest take and there is a definite community of “Friends haters,” but the cult following seems to dominate the conversation, especially on social media. The laugh track drives me crazy, I don’t find the episode plots compelling, and I just don’t find it very funny. The series just can’t keep up with the modern-day sitcom.

The Office: Appropriately Rated

A lot of people LOVE The Office – like, an absurd amount of people. A GIF from The Office is almost guaranteed to earn you some hearts in a group message. However, I think it lives up to the hype, for the most part. The Office is undeniably funny. I know it is not everybody’s cup of tea, and sometimes the humor can feel mean-spirited and the cringe can verge on unbearable, but there is a reason that The Office has such a cult following: it’s a classic!

The Good Place: Appropriately Rated

Kristen Bell can truly do no wrong. The Good Place has received a fair amount of hype and it has deserved every bit of it. The clever writing, incredible cast, endearing characters and depth make it an instant classic. I genuinely don’t think I know anyone who has watched the show and not liked it. If you haven’t started watching it yet, what are you doing with your life?

Hart of Dixie: Underrated

Why nobody talks about Hart of Dixie remains to be one of life’s biggest mysteries. Hart of Dixie is a tongue-in-cheek, funny, heart-warming dramedy. It is nothing more than it claims to be: a light, fun, easy to watch show. It is not an Emmy winner or anything that will go down in history for its amazing cinematography or groundbreaking plot, but the writing is clever and you can’t help but to fall in love with all of the characters and their little town (which, by the way, is filmed on the same Warner Brothers Lot as Gilmore Girls, so if you love Stars Hollow, you are sure to love Bluebell too).

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Underrated

I hear very little about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, although to be fair, I sort of understand why? Rachel Bloom, the show’s co-creator and star, created this eccentric, musical dramedy that pushed the envelope on what network tv looks like. The main character, Rebecca Bunch, is intelligent, dynamic, flawed and at times, edges on unlikeable. Through Rebecca, the show explores the nuances of so many relevant issues affecting women, including career, dating, family, friendship and most notably, mental illness. Although some episodes are better than others, it has some real depth to it. This one-of-a-kind show is well worth the watch, and a conversation. Also, I can’t fail to mention some of the genius musical numbers, among my favorites include: “Let’s Generalize About Men,” “Don’t be a Lawyer,” and “I Have Friends.”

Zoe Bennett

Alabama '23

Zoe is from Portland, Oregon, studying Environmental Engineering at the University of Alabama!
Alabama Contributor