neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Transferring Was One of the Best Decisions I Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

When I first graduated high school, I was not ready for the “big” college experience. In fact, I wasn’t sure if I was ready for college at all. For one, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. On top of that, I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to learn anymore. I had just spent 12 years learning. My ideal future was to lay on the couch and watch extensive amounts of Netflix. However, my parents wouldn’t allow that. In an attempt to please them, I enrolled at a local college. During my first year, I discovered I really enjoyed college. I liked not having to go to the same class every day of the week. I liked the breaks I had. I liked going to school with new people. The atmosphere was so much different than high school, and that was what I enjoyed the most.

During my two years at this college, I got involved as I could. I joined student government, I volunteered, and I even got to be an orientation leader during the summer. It was a fantastic experience. However, at the beginning of my sophomore year, things started to change.

My younger sister had just begun college at the University of Alabama. Growing up, my family was not into college sports. I had no idea about the culture that surrounded Alabama. I ended up visiting her in October of that year, during homecoming weekend. My first moments on campus, I was shocked. This was nothing like what I had experienced before. There were so many people and so many opportunities. During my weekend at UA, I had a major gut feeling. I really wanted to attend the University of Alabama. I ended up following my gut.

Moving to Tuscaloosa, I was able to experience an entirely new culture. BBQ is a staple in society, and Saturdays are for the boys. On top of that, the University of Alabama gave me so many more experiences than my little college on the coast could. I got a part-time job on campus. I began volunteering more through the various programs the college offers. I began getting into research in my subject area. I made the most amazing friends. None of this would be possible unless I had taken that leap of faith.

Sometimes, there can be a negative mindset behind transferring. Some people may say it looks bad on your part. Others may say you’re not truly part of the school if you spend less than 4 years there. I choose not to listen to those mindsets. No matter what people may say or think, at the end of the day, I feel proud of my choice. Transferring may sound scary, but it can be one of the greatest decisions you’ll make. It was for me.

Shaina is a senior Psychology major with minors in Communication Studies and Social Welfare at the University of Alabama. 
Kristen is a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in English and minoring in journalism and creative writing. She loves music festivals, reading, Alabama Football, and binge watching Food Network. She serves as Health Chair for the Beta Rho Chapter of Alpha Omega Epsilon. After graduation, she will be moving to Indianapolis to teach through Teach For America.