This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

When most people think of nonfiction, they imagine thick, dusty tomes that haven’t as much had their spines cracked, covering an extensive history of a significant figure or an incredibly specific event that occurred years upon years ago. Considering the grueling picture this paints, it is no wonder that the idea of reading nonfiction is daunting to so many readers. Never fear! I, too, once had an unparalleled fear of those insurmountable paperweight books and stuck to fiction, intimidated by those abandoned books in the library that looked like they had never seen the light of day. However, in the past year, I have ventured into the realm of nonfiction and found it is not the nightmarish task I had imagined but a reprieve from the “real” world just as much as any romance novel. So, here is a list of three nonfiction books to help you conquer your fear of the genre.

Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion

It would be unforgivable to begin this list of nonfiction books without mentioning the queen herself. Joan Didion is a known and revered journalist whose articles have been compiled into many nonfiction novels throughout her life, many of them focusing on the political and social climate of the 1960s and 70s. In Slouching Towards Bethlehem, she does just this, with a field of stories ranging from a domestic murder to the culturally iconic hippies of the time, as well as personal essays reflecting on various concepts such as self-respect and keeping a notebook. Didion triumphs in piquing her readers’ curiosity, getting them engrossed in her stories, unable to put the book down. With her observational skills and her cynical wit, readers are guaranteed to fall in love with her writing. This novel is also 238 pages, much unlike the tomes many of us have envisioned in our minds. Be sure to check out Slouching Towards Bethlehem!

2. In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado

Another great way to be introduced to the nonfiction genre is by reading memoirs. They tell the author’s life story, but unlike fiction, the events in the novel are mostly true. One enriching memoir to pick up is In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado. In it, Machado details her experience of being in an abusive same-sex relationship. The home in which they live she calls the “dream house,” hence the title. This novel truly shows how the subgenre of memoirs is expanding. Alongside her own personal story, Machado incorporates folklore, history, and even a choose-your-own-adventure-esque chapter. In the Dream House is a short novel, a mere 251 pages. With short chapters and an engrossing story, you will not be able to put it down. Given the sensitive material discussed in the book, please check trigger warnings before reading. In the Dream House is a darkly comical, heart-wrenching read that will leave you speechless.

3. I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy

If you have been on social media in the past several months, you have heard about the newest memoir to hit bookstores across the United States. Gen Z will remember Jennette McCurdy from ICarly, where she played the rough tomboy with a heart of gold, Sam Puckett, a girl who loved fried chicken and wielded a butter sock. McCurdy takes readers behind the scenes, beginning with her childhood and ending in the present day. She discusses her mother’s failed dreams of becoming an actress and how she forced this dream on her own shy daughter, who wanted nothing to do with being in the spotlight. As with In the Dream House, this memoir deals with intense and, at times, hard-to-read materials, so be aware of what exactly that entails before picking up this book. This novel is slightly longer than the other two, at about 320 pages, but is engrossing and will truly allow readers to see what the memoir subgenre and nonfiction genre have to offer. I’m Glad My Mom Died is continuing to sell out across the country, so be sure to grab your copy as soon as possible!

Olivia Womack

Alabama '25

Olivia is a sophomore at the University of Alabama double majoring in English and History. She enjoys writing, reading historical fiction, and obsessively listening to musicals.