This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

So, last weekend, I finally participated in an art show for the first time. Now, I’ve done school-based art shows where I would present one piece for an award, but this as my first exhibition where I presented multiple pieces at my own section for sale. It went well, but not as great as maybe I had hoped. I probably sold about 10 prints and got plenty of compliments, so I can’t be mad. However, from this experience, no matter how good or bad it was, I really learned so much about putting myself out there.

I was extremely nervous about my show, and I seriously thought about pulling out of it at the last minute. I take all of my art very personally, and showing it off and selling it has always been a major fear of mine. However, I’ve been watching my friends show their work, and I slowly came around to the idea. As nervous as I was, I am so glad that I went through with it. The people who came by my booth to look at my work and talk to me about it gave me more confidence, and the fact that people I had never met before were spending money on my art was amazing. Not to mention, some people were moved by the feminist message of my work, and this made me incredibly proud. This is the whole point of my art! I have a tendency to drop out of plans at the last minute, and I am so glad that I did not do this. This really gave me the confidence to put myself out there, especially when it comes to my art. I cannot change the world with my art the way I would like without actually showing people my work.

If you are a creative, either by occupation or just as a hobby (like me), I urge you to use my experience to get yourself out there. Make connections in the art world with those who can set you up with galleries and shows. Shows can be as professional or as relaxed as you would like, and it is a good idea to experiment with different types to determine what fits your preferences. The art world is huge: get yourself out there!

I am currently enrolled and The Univerity of Alabama. A travel enthusiast who plans to see the whole world from the window of my tiny house. I believe that exploring the world and learning about other cultures is the cure of prejudice. There are something many places and people to meet, and i just want to share my experiences.