What Graduation Feels Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

I recently graduated, in December, and walking across the stage was one of the best moments of my life. Before my name was called to walk on the stage, I thought about the years of hard work and dedication that brought me to that moment. I literally didn’t have a worry or a care in the world. In that moment, all I could think of was finally graduating from the University of Alabama. College wasn’t a walk in the park for me. Going to school with a medical condition called Hemiplegic Migraines (which I wrote about in full detail in one of my other articles) was hard. There were days where I went to class, physically exhausted from having a hemiplegic migraine, which side effects can vary from temporary paralysis, confusion, numbness, and pain. 

I had to take tests, exams, and complete assignments while I was still feeling bad from side effects of my medical condition. I kept pushing on despite the struggles of going to college full time with a medical condition. We make great memories in college but sometimes it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. Trying to get a degree while going through a personal obstacle whether it’s a medical condition, a personal issue, etc. is not a piece of cake. There were times during my college career where I thought about how college would have been easier for me without health issues. However, getting my degree with health problems made getting my degree more worth it. I believe the hardships in life make those achievements, accomplishments, and good life moments even more beautiful. 

On graduation day, I was glowing. I took it all in. I made it! I made it to that finish line. I finally reached the goal I was reaching for. I was filled with joy when my name was called and I walked across the stage.  I’m thankful for all the times I’ve shouted “Roll Tide” in Bryant Denny Stadium. I’m grateful for all the good memories at Bama. I will always love my Tide. I have loved this chapter in my life but I’m ready for the next one! I’m ready to see what the next adventure is! 

If you’ve had your own personal struggles while being in college, don’t give up. Graduation is waiting for you. The next great thing for you awaits.  All the work and effort you put towards getting your degree will be more than worth it. So, go get that diploma that you deserve! I wish you all luck, for not just graduation but for what comes after! 

Much love and Roll Tide ladies! 

Haleigh Kemmerly is a Senior at the University Of Alabama. She is a Telecommunication and Film major with a Creative Writing minor. She is a staff writer for Her Campus Bama. Haleigh has a passion for writing, nature, travel, and film. She describes herself as a huge animal lover and adventurer. She competed in rodeos and horse competitions and won a few state tiles while living in Kentucky. She grew up in a military family and calls herself a proud Army brat. She had the rare and unique wonderful experience living in Seoul, Korea for two years as a child. She's thankful she got the opportunity to move to different parts of the United States and was exposed to several different cultures and people. She has the heart of a gypsy and a wandering spirit.
Alabama Contributor